Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Film changing bag or changing tent?

Re: Film changing bag or changing tent?

Perhaps just get more filmholders if the budget is comparable to a changing tent. Then you won't have to reload them when away from the darkroom/darkbathroom/etc..

In a pinch I've used a big changing bag but to stop it flopping down on the film loading area I first put in the largest cardboard carton that will fit. This creates a "cave" for the hands to work in.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

I used a change bag for a long time, when a darkroom wasn't available. But during a workshop with Norman McGrath on architectural photography, I saw him use a large Harrison tent. Very nice, and I purchased one on EBay. I would not want to go back to a change bag.

Be careful about Harrison tents, though. Especially used ones. The material they used on the surface can degenerate and become "moist" or "sticky" to the touch. Mine ended up with an advanced case. It can be caused by leaving the tent in its case for long periods of time. (Especially in a hot climate.) To check it, I put my head inside, and I could see a low level light inside. I got rid of it.

Instead, I purchased a new one that was made in China. It works well, and being designed for 11x14, it's plenty large for 8x10. To keep it from having the same problem as the Harrison, I don't store it in it's tight, confining case. I store it loose in a box.

Tinker toys in a changing bag make it into a space where the cloth does not lay on your film or holders. Best of all it keeps the top off your hands as the moisture builds up inside as you unlod/load the film. In warm and hot areas I have found the moisture build up more of a problem than dust.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I use a large changing bag with a re-purposed file cabinet hanging file rack inside...

Comes apart flat, just had to polish the ends so they wouldn't snag the inside of the bag...

Can hold stacks of holders and boxes of film inside easily with plenty of room...

Steve K

Noritsu changing bag can be made a tent as described further up. Big enough for 11x14"

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I used a change bag for a long time, when a darkroom wasn't available. But during a workshop with Norman McGrath on architectural photography, I saw him use a large Harrison tent. Very nice, and I purchased one on EBay. I would not want to go back to a change bag.

Be careful about Harrison tents, though. Especially used ones. The material they used on the surface can degenerate and become "moist" or "sticky" to the touch. Mine ended up with an advanced case. It can be caused by leaving the tent in its case for long periods of time. (Especially in a hot climate.) To check it, I put my head inside, and I could see a low level light inside. I got rid of it.

Instead, I purchased a new one that was made in China. It works well, and being designed for 11x14, it's plenty large for 8x10. To keep it from having the same problem as the Harrison, I don't store it in it's tight, confining case. I store it loose in a box.
    I have a Harrison tent for my 4x5 that I just started with a few months ago. The recommendation Harrison gives that I follow is to keep the tent generally loose when you put it away. I fold it about four time loosely and lay it loose into the original cardboard box that I don't close completely. I put it up on a shelf at the top of the hall closet. I suppose that prevents cracking of the material and moisture buildup. I also leave it unzipped before I fold it so moisture if any can escape.

I use a homemade film-changing box. Doesn't fold away like a tent, but you can store things in it while you're not using it. I've had one for close to 2 years and never had a light leak. http://www.thepencilneckgeek.com/201...ns-battle.html

Thanks for the insightful answers so far. I'm about to star my 4x5 adventure and I may get 4 holders to start with. It should be enough for a day but I plan on going in small camping trips and I think I may need to reload the holders on the go.

Quote Originally Posted by avazphoto View Post
    Thanks for the insightful answers so far. I'm about to star my 4x5 adventure and I may get 4 holders to start with. It should be enough for a day but I plan on going in small camping trips and I think I may need to reload the holders on the go.
    Just a thought. If you buy film in twenty sheet boxes, five holders might be easier to handle. That way, when you finish the first ten sheets (five holders), you can insert the second ten film sheets in one session rather than leaving 2 sheets for a second tent use. If you buy a ten sheet box, you can do all ten sheets in one session and not have two sheets left over.