Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film changing bag or changing tent?

Question Film changing bag or changing tent?

Hi everyone

I run a search and could not find the answer to to this and also I'm not sure if I'm posting this question on the right forum, but here I go.

What are you using to load film holders outside? Bag or tent?

I searched for different options online an I'm leaning more towards a tent, but I find the ones I found on ebay overpriced...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

a

Re: Film changing bag or changing tent?

The flat changing bag will put dust on your film (through contact), resulting in black spots on your prints. Frustrating!
    Use a changing tent if you're using sheet film. I've been using one (a Photoflex), when needed, for 25 years.

I use a changing bag since I do LF and never noticed dust in the photo. My dust problems if I have them, are always from drying the developed film. My bag is made from some nylon/propylene fabric, which feels hardly static to me.
    Another thing is where you live. In hot and humid climates a changing bag can be quite annoying because of sweaty hands.

Andrej Gregov

Changing bags lay flat on top of your film holders and hands which make it harder to load/unload film in my experience. I like the Photoflex Changing Room the best for 4x5. The Harrison Pup tent could work as an alternative for 4x5. I use a medium Harrison Changing Tent for 8x10 holders. It's fine but somewhat bulky, harder to travel with than the Photoflex IMO.

bags are smaller and fold up small. tents are larger but have much needed interior room/volume. a must imo for loading holders.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I use a change bag for travel and a change tent at home. For loading film to film holders, the change tent is definately better.

Tent is the way to go.

In a pinch if the bag is large enough you can Velcro the top center point and lift it (attaching yo something nearby) so as to create a mini tent. It will tend to shrink the base as you pull up so you do need an slightly oversized bag.

I also have used both, but I switched years ago to using a changing tent exclusively for loading and unloading my 4x5 Grafmatic holders. For me, at least, dust is much less of a problem, and the tent does not get in the way of my hands, the holders and the box of film nearly as much.

I prefer a tent but my budget was a bag. Then I found a reflector on top of a fiberglass pole; intended to mark the edge of your driveway or your mailbox so you don't go astray while driving at night. I cut the sticks to the right length (4 to 6 inches longer than the flat dimensions of the bag) and wrapped a ball of duct tape around the ends. Put them in the bag and the ends into the bag's seams so they bow upward and presto! Instant tent! Works great for me (4x5 and 5x7)
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Outdoors, I try to have all my holders loaded. I load them up in the bathroom. I have a piece of plywood on the floor. I have 2 blackout curtains.

I have a regular Photoflex tent. But it kinda just fits 8x10. I use it if I have to outdoors to unload film but usually, I have everything loaded enough for a day of outdoor shooting. When I get back home, I just remove the unshot film and back into the box.
    --