Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contact Printing Large Format negatives with a Leica Focomat V35?

Re: Contact Printing Large Format negatives with a Leica Focomat V35?

Thanks for all the help everyone! Going to take a look at the V35 tomorrow. Asking price is only $200.

Even when a photographer has an enlarger capable of providing adequate illumination for contact printing, it may be more convenient to use a simple light bulb for contact printing like Edward Weston and many other masters did. The simplest solution to a problem is often the best.

The V-35 is wonderful

I paid twice that 8 years ago

Mine was complete and #10 of 14 sold by a Nebraska college dumping all Darkroom gear

The autofocus does work well, once you adjust the height where column meets baseboard

http://gmpphoto.blogspot.com/2019/08...comat-v35.html
    Tin Can

if everything works properly, $200 is an absolute steal. make sure the lens aperture ring is smooth and not sticky as that could mean you could nudge the af off a bit. it had three modules, a b/w module (with red filter) a colour module (great for variable contrast papers) and a multigrade module. If it doesn't have a manual, I'll try and find and scan it. and you don't need the Leitz easel in case you were wondering.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Should work perfectly. I use my Durst 138S illuminated with a high intensity Ilford multi contrast light head to contact print 8x20, 11x14 as well as 8x10. One of the things you are going to have to deal with is the methodology in managing contrast control with your printing. You can use the subtractive filtration as a one shot exposure from companies like Ilford (get these new to ensure they are aligned with the new papers) or the green and blue Roscoe filters as a double exposure - one from each filter. Prefer the filtration is above the lens stage but sometimes it is not possible. Do the best you can. Heck of a great acquisition. I have a mint Leica 2C. They are marvelous machines.

There should be no problem using the V35 for contact printing large format negatives. If you have any concern about light fall-off in the corners, just run the enlarger head higher up the column. Then you won't be using the corners.

Re: Contact Printing Large Format negatives with a Leica Fotomat V35?

Great, thanks Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Mainly, it needs to be complete... 40mm Focomat Leica lens, proper negative carrier, color module (the thing in the back with the color or MG knobs), and overall good condition...

If you get one, the lamp socket electrical connector usually goes bad eventually, so plan on a new one, as this design gets really hot there, causing connector failure... And the bulbs are not common, but there's a different bulb that will work when you get the new connector style...

Great enlargers, I have been servicing one for another photographer, and have used it to print (I own several models of other Leitz enlargers, and like them all!!!)...

Find a copy of manual or catalog online to see all accessories for this unit, and make sure you will get everything you need with it...

Good luck,

Steve K

One thing I discovered contact printing using collimated light (light coming from a lens) is that every dust spec on both sides of the glass, both sides of the negative and the surface of the paper would show clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    One thing I discovered contact printing using collimated light (light coming from a lens) is that every dust spec on both sides of the glass, both sides of the negative and the surface of the paper would show clearly.
    Too true! Not only this but with the enlarger lens well stopped down any specks on the glass negative carrier, enlarger condensers or diffusion plates could also be imaged as out of focus blobs. One solution is to remove the enlarger negative carrier and focus the lens on the air in the bellows. I also add a below-the-lens diffuser that goes on top of the below-the-lens contrast filters (Ilford type).

One advantage of using collimated enlarger light for contact printing is that the shadows of dodging wands and burning cards are sharp so local exposure control can be rather precise.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

I never use my V-35 for contact printing

If you are buying one for only that purpose, don't do it

Jim Jones and Maris have good points
    Tin Can