Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Can anyone recommend a sturdy tall carbon fiber tripod and ball head/pan-tilt head?

Re: Can anyone recommend a sturdy tall carbon fiber tripod and ball head/pan-tilt hea

the FLM tripod leg comes apart for easy cleaning should you get a little dirt/grime/salt water in the lower section. It is extremely well designed.
    The only flaw/issue I have found is that when walking with the legs extended, they can cross so it is a tad awkward on the shoulder. When collapsed legs do not cross due to the rubber feet meeting. X vs V
    The CP34 and CP38 also have large head platforms which is something one should also consider.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Re: Can anyone recommend a sturdy tall carbon fiber tripod and ball head/pan-tilt hea

Glad you found something you like. I have a raft of tripods and they all have plusses and minuses. I use one of the "Three legged thing" tripods (I think its the Leo) and it's OK - works well for the Hasselblad and I've had the Technika on it as well - not ideal but when traveling internationally it's nice because it will fit in a carry on bag. I used to be 6'2 and the TTT Leo isn't really tall enough. I have FLM heads on several tripods and they're excellent. And I use the Kessler Crane quick release system on the larger tripods - I can't recommend them highly enough. I have 2 of them mounted on the platform of my monster Majestic - one fore and aft for the LF cameras and one side to side to accomodate the RRS QR plate on the Mamiya 7 and the "cage" on the Canon 5D.

I have used this tripod for a couple of years and I think it's an exceptional tripod.

ProMediaGear TR424L 42mm Series 77" Pro-Stix Carbon-Fiber Tripod
    Load Capacity: 125.0 lb
    Max Height: 77.0", Min Height: 6.7"
    Folded Length: 26.3"
    Leg Sections: 4, Weight: 6.4 lb

Links:
    https://www.promediagear.com/TR424L-...egs_p_253.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...77_carbon.html
    Last edited by jamgolf; 1-Feb-2021 at 09:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Look for a used Gitzo 1325. It will do what you want and used ones are a helluva of a value. I ve had one since 2006. It's never failed and even holds my Kodak 2d 8x10 in a pinch.

Kent in SD

Plus 1. I've had mine since 2007.

Although I would add that I did once have to send it in for a stripped replacement leg lock - but think that was due to my own overly aggressive tightening. The best thing about this tripod imo, is that because it's only 3 sections it is quicker to set up and more sturdy than 4 section ones and if you remove the head it is easy to fit in a smallish tripod bag and carry on a plane.

I use an acra swiss monoball Z panning head with the fliplock for travel,hiking/lightweight. For 4x5 and above around town, when weight/size is not a concern I use a bogen 3047 pan tilt deluxe.

I saw a mention of the Kessler Crane Kwik release. I use several of them and they are superb. I have two of the bases mounted on the platform of my Majestic - some of the cameras have the QR plate sideways and some fore and off.

I have a Gitzo 1325. It's really good, but it's not very tall.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I have a Gitzo 1325. It's really good, but it's not very tall.
    That is true - I forgot to say I added the gitzo carbon fiber center column GS3512S. But even before I got that my old canham 8x10 ground glass would be pretty close to eye height with the tripod legs extended, and the tripod head directly on the legs with no column – I'm 5 11.

Just measured and with my center column all the way up the arca ball head clamp is at 70 inches – tall enough with a 5x7 on top of that to barely squeeze one off over a standard construction chain link fence, and need a step stool to focus and compose.

I don't like to use a center column, and I've had to photograph on the side of a hill a number of times.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I have a FLM CP30-L4 II and love it. I use it for 4x5, 6x7, and smaller. It is 68" tall weighs 3.2 lb and if you wait for a sale its around $400. I never found anything better.

I am moving away from a ball head and going to pick up a leveling base and a pan tilt head. More than likely one by Acratech. I love their heads.