Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recommend a sturdy tall carbon fiber tripod and ball head/pan-tilt head?

Re: Can anyone recommend a sturdy tall carbon fiber tripod and ball head/pan-tilt hea

So, I'm down to 3 (err, 4) tripod legs to consider, considering their low weight, height ability, and price. I've read through https://thecentercolumn.com to help aid in this process, but I'm still not quite sure. If any of you could help narrow this down, it'd be greatly appreciated. Here are my top 3:

FEISOL CT-3441T Traveler Rapid Carbon Fiber Tripod
    FLM CP30-L4 II 10X Carbon Fiber Series II Tripod
    Sirui W-2204 Waterproof Carbon Fiber Tripod

And, because of its ability to use the center column horizontally, here's this (even though it's slightly shorter and heavier than I would like):

Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 Carbon Fiber Tripod

God only knows what tripod head to pick now...

Re: Can anyone recommend a sturdy tall carbon fiber tripod and ball head/pan-tilt hea

FLM CP30 L4 for the height - Without the smallest leg sections extended my camera is at eye level (on CP34 same height). A sideways center column is not needed for 4x5 if you can rotate the back . If you read the reviews of most tripods that connector has problems. IF you don't need 68" height consider the CP30 S4 instead, more stable per thecentercolumn review. I bought the L4 version because i often find myself perched on a rock in a stream or need one leg farther down the hill.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I already suggested FLM https://flmusa.com/product-category/tripods/

If you compare folded length and total weigh between their 3 tallest tripods you may reconsider

I like the lightweight and rigid 100mm half ball on the biggest one

It weighs only 1.5 lbs more and is shorter with 1/2 ball than the little ones with any head

I have many heavy wood and metal tripods, that never leave the cave
    Tin Can

I have a very old Gitzo 1348 which I think is one of their 1st carbon fiber versions. It is light, 66” tall in four sections, solid without the center column, and never slips. I put a Ries head and a 5x7 camera on the legs and have never looked for anything else. There are loads of styles out there, but a Gitzo is built to last so used is a great way to go.

Well, I went with the FLM CP30-L4 II 10X Carbon Fiber Series II Tripod. I emailed Ari at FLM and he was kind enough to give me - a poor, scrappy student - a great deal on the tripod. I'm really excited to get it and use it with my Linhof TK45S and Bronica GS-1 (soon to be joined by the Pentax 67II, which I was also very lucky to get).

Anywayyy, that said, now it's time for me to find a tripod head. Any suggestions for a geared head or pan & tilt head?

Right now I'm thinking of getting one of these (in no particular order):

Manfrotto XPRO 3-Way, Geared Pan-and-Tilt Head
    Benro GD3WH 3-Way Geared Head
    Manfrotto XPRO 3-Way, Pan-and-Tilt Head Kit
    Manfrotto MH293D3-Q2 3-Way, Pan-and-Tilt Head

If this helps, I shoot color negative/transparency with LF lenses ranging from 75mm to 300mm on my Linhof Technikardan 45S and shoot color negative/transparency with MF lenses ranging from 50mm to 250mm on my Bronica SG-1 (6x7 medium format).

Arca Swiss d4.

Very smooth, very stable, very precise.

And very pricey.

Manfrotto XPRO 3-Way, Pan-and-Tilt Head Kit is fine for my 4x5 wooden camera. Its rated for 17 pounds whereas the geared head is rated only 8 pounds. I like the retractable handles too. Buy extra QR plates for each camera.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    FLM CP30 L4 for the height - Without the smallest leg sections extended my camera is at eye level (on CP34 same height)......
    Good tripod but there is a theory that the smallest leg section should always be extended. For us pessimists this means that the joint between the first and second leg sections is high up and out of the dirt, water, and sand that non-studio tripods will inevitably encounter.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Drew Wiley

Being supported on the thinnest sections might well equate to less stability. Extend them a little bit for the reason Maris just explained. But if you don't need the extra height, it's those thinnest tubes which should be left mostly tucked in.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    Good tripod but there is a theory that the smallest leg section should always be extended. For us pessimists this means that the joint between the first and second leg sections is high up and out of the dirt, water, and sand that non-studio tripods will inevitably encounter.
    I thought that was written on every instruction pamphlet for every tripod...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China