Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Securing an Ansco No. 5 studio camera to the stand question...

Securing an Ansco No. 5 studio camera to the stand question...

So I recently restored an Ansco No. 5 camera and stand. However I don't think the camera was ever anchored to the platform prior. The platform doesn't have any holes in it. I do, however, see two holes in the camera's rail, just behind the middle standard. They don't seem to be the logical holes to use because using them would render the front bellows fixed, no longer adjustable.

If you happen to have this setup, how is yours secured? Mine currently slides around on the slippery felt.

Re: Securing an Ansco No. 5 studio camera to the stand question...

I had one exactly like this https://www.pinterest.com/pin/488781365799836739/

Camera was not bolted down, but it also could not turn upside down and forward slide was controlled by a ridge on front of the platform

I sold it for 10 times what I paid and removed the 4.5" Packard Shutter that was mounted on the center frame

Now i wish i had it!
    Tin Can

Yes I have the front ridge on the platform as well. The problem is the camera slides back when I pull the rear bed extension back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I had one exactly like this https://www.pinterest.com/pin/488781365799836739/

Camera was not bolted down, but it also could not turn upside down and forward slide was controlled by a ridge on front of the platform

I sold it for 10 times what I paid and removed the 4.5" Packard Shutter that was mounted on the center frame

Now i wish i had it!

I plan on bolting mine to the stand.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Peter, does yours have the two holes located on either side of the rail just behind the middle standard? Just where the raised groove ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I plan on bolting mine to the stand.

I'll go look. Just a minute.....Nope.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Weird. The two holes in mine seem factory cut as they are nicely recessed on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I'll go look. Just a minute.....Nope.

If my memory is correct, the rear standards ride on rounded rails, wood to wood

Mine also was tight, the wood swelled from long storage in wet musty basement, all paint was cracked and leafing off. The bellows were like formica, almost no flex

Perhaps sand those areas and wax the ways

I did replace the platform felt with heavier from McMaster Carr, that helped
    Tin Can

Thx Tin Can. Yeah I did wax the rounded rails and it helped, but the camera still slides if I pull out the rear extension without holding the rest down. Did you secure yours to the platform? I bet my bellows was worse than yours. It was painted with a thick tar like black paint with globs everywhere. I assume it was to hold it together and fill in holes. I had Custom Bellows in the UK make me a new pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    If my memory is correct, the rear standards ride on rounded rails, wood to wood

Mine also was tight, the wood swelled from long storage in wet musty basement, all paint was cracked and leafing off. The bellows were like formica, almost no flex

Perhaps sand those areas and wax the ways

I did replace the platform felt with heavier from McMaster Carr, that helped

A simple solution. No more camera slide.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4579.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	209018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4575.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	209019