Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: 11x14" vs. 7x17"

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Equally far from everything
    Posts
    332

    Re: 11x14" vs. 7x17"

    It really depends on your subject matter. 11x14 would be more useful for a variety of subjects not being stuck in a landscape format. The film is more readily available and cheaper. I love my Chamonix 11x14. I mostly shoot portraits but I recently got a half frame dark slide to shoot 5x14 panos and love the almost 1:3 format.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wondervu, Colorado
    Posts
    1,084

    Re: 11x14" vs. 7x17"

    For a direct comparison, why not 11x14 vs 8x20? 154 vs 160 square inches?

    If you just want a 40% ratio option, you can always shoot two 4x10s on a single sheet of 8x10 using a 4x10 splitter.

    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1520725

  3. #13
    Vaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Humboldt County, CA
    Posts
    7,952

    Re: 11x14" vs. 7x17"

    Quote Originally Posted by cuypers1807 View Post
    It really depends on your subject matter. 11x14 would be more useful for a variety of subjects not being stuck in a landscape format. The film is more readily available and cheaper. I love my Chamonix 11x14. I mostly shoot portraits but I recently got a half frame dark slide to shoot 5x14 panos and love the almost 1:3 format.
    I just measured the image area of one of my 'half-frame' 11x14s...close enough to 5" x 13.5".

    I find it best to compose the image on the upper half of the GG of my Chamonix 11x14 (using Fidelity holders), as the half-frame darkslide seats flat that way. I have had it slip when composed on the bottom half and ended up with one crooked edge on the neg.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    61

    Re: 11x14" vs. 7x17"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    11X14 film is easier to buy and cheaper

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...3122%3A11x14in

    X-Ray 11X14 film fits more holders than 7X17
    For someone based in the U.S. that's true but if importing the film (like me), can be cheaper, e.g. there is ADOX CHS at 6.50 euro per sheet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post

    Not necessarily true. Without having the exact number handy, I'd guess that my 7x17 Korona is substantially lighter than any 11x14 I'm aware of. Regardless, if that's a major consideration you really have to compare the particular models you're considering, not assume that as a generalization. Also check the film holder weights.
    Yes it was a gross generalisation but the point I was trying to make was that if weight is important, one can get a camera in the 5.5 - 6 KG range in either format.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    No difference in complexity of developing the film.
    20th Century Camera makes reels for 2 sheets per drum for 11x14 and if tray processing, smaller tray sizes can be used. With 7x17 you are limited to print drums, which puts it into the same "complexity category" in my mind as all formats bigger than that up to 20x24.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    For a direct comparison, why not 11x14 vs 8x20? 154 vs 160 square inches?
    8x20 is heavier, harder to develop and needs lenses with much bigger coverage. For example I have an 8x10 kit already and some of those lenses will cover 11x14 / 7x17 while stopped down but there's no hope of that being the case with 8x20.

  5. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    7,637

    Re: 11x14" vs. 7x17"

    Quote Originally Posted by unityofsaints View Post
    Yes it was a gross generalisation but the point I was trying to make was that if weight is important, one can get a camera in the 5.5 - 6 KG range in either format.
    FWIW, the catalog spec for the 7x17 Korona is 10 lb / ~4.5 kg. Up to you whether that's enough of a difference to matter for your purposes.

  6. #16
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,050

    Re: 11x14" vs. 7x17"

    I have drums, but only use trays for 7X17 and 11X14

    Not quite there for 14x17, I better hurry this winter
    where is the monolith

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Equally far from everything
    Posts
    332

    Re: 11x14" vs. 7x17"

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I just measured the image area of one of my 'half-frame' 11x14s...close enough to 5" x 13.5".

    I find it best to compose the image on the upper half of the GG of my Chamonix 11x14 (using Fidelity holders), as the half-frame darkslide seats flat that way. I have had it slip when composed on the bottom half and ended up with one crooked edge on the neg.
    Vaughn, I haven't had a problem with the HF darkslide slipping when using Chamonix holders. I don't think they recommend their use for other holders.

  8. #18
    Vaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Humboldt County, CA
    Posts
    7,952

    Re: 11x14" vs. 7x17"

    I have had it happen with 4x10, also. Not often, and not when I double check the how well the modified darkslide is seated before exposure. I have to expose on the upper or lower, so now just go with the upper unless I need to be exact on border placement on the upper portion of the image.

    I made my own HF darkslide for my 11x14 Fidelity holders (metal). It definitely will not fit in SS holders.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    61

    Re: 11x14" vs. 7x17"

    Well, I took the plunge on a Canham 7x17. I'm not looking forward to completely changing my development and contact printing process but hopefully it will be worth it. The slightly lower weight and it fitting inside my existing backpack ended up being big factors.

  10. #20
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,050

    Re: 11x14" vs. 7x17"

    Very good!
    where is the monolith

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •