Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: Shutter for Heliar 300mm 4.5

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    La Quinta, CA
    Posts
    441

    Re: Shutter for Heliar 300mm 4.5

    I was going to say the same thing as Bernice. You might want to consider the 360mm Heliar - that is what I use on my 8 x 10. You might not get much movement at all with the 300mm.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    19

    Re: Shutter for Heliar 300mm 4.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    If you're wanting to tinker with barrel lenses, best to get a Sinar camera with Sinar shutter and be done with it. More than just the need for a shutter, there are other camera related items like bellows length or bag bellows, how long can the camera be extended, possible accessories and LOTs more.

    Lens boards are another consideration along with size-weight of lens the camera can properly support.

    Last, if you're new to LF, why 8x10?


    Bernice
    I have a Svedovsky 8x10 which is quite sturdy. It comes with 140mm x 140mm lensboards which seem to be Sinar size. According to Svedovsky they are likely to fit.
    Why 8x10? Because I can do contact prints and I want to do wet plate as well. I know that for wet plate I donít need a shutter, but want to see if I could use it for film as well.
    I know 8x10 is more expensive, but it seems to be the perfect intersection between LF and ULF ( usability and results). Personal opinion of course, which is subject to change 😉

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    19

    Re: Shutter for Heliar 300mm 4.5

    This isn’t meant as publicity, but here’s some comments on the stability of the Svedovsky and the compatibility with Sinar: http://svedovsky.com/svedovsky-8x10-first-look/

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    156

    Re: Shutter for Heliar 300mm 4.5

    Quote Originally Posted by fwaeyten View Post
    This isnít meant as publicity, but hereís some comments on the stability of the Svedovsky and the compatibility with Sinar: http://svedovsky.com/svedovsky-8x10-first-look/
    Read through, no mention of the Sinar shutter, which in my opinion is the only reason for the "tiny" 140mm sinar lens board. A Linhof Kardan at 162mm is still on the small side, I could barely fit my 480mm inside. Else a good read.

    Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    19

    Re: Shutter for Heliar 300mm 4.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    Read through, no mention of the Sinar shutter, which in my opinion is the only reason for the "tiny" 140mm sinar lens board. A Linhof Kardan at 162mm is still on the small side, I could barely fit my 480mm inside. Else a good read.
    Yes, no mention of the shutter, hence my remark that I would have to look into it. I don't know if the lensboard size has anything to do with the shutter compatibility. Shutters seem to go everywhere: in front, behine, in the middle
    Since there seem to be various sinar shutters I'm also not sure which one to get.

    Here's another source of info I found: https://www.timlaytonfineart.com/sinar-copal-shutter

  6. #16
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    14,979

    Re: Shutter for Heliar 300mm 4.5

    Not to beat a dead horse, but only Packard is still making new shutters just as they have since 1885

    https://packardshutter.com/

    I have bought bulb and hose from the seller, which are the best made, I highly suggest OE Bulbs

    and I have 2 NOS shutters in box, but bought many used

    I had trouble at first with using the bulb as my hands were weak, but I fixed that personal problem

    I have installed Flash Sync with Microswitches easily, the modern switches are $2, the OE Sync does work but many don't have it

    IF you buy a Sinar shutter make sure it has the cables, they are rare
    wear mask or NOT

    is ???

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    156

    Re: Shutter for Heliar 300mm 4.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse, but only Packard is still making new shutters just as they have since 1885

    https://packardshutter.com/

    IF you buy a Sinar shutter make sure it has the cables, they are rare
    I will consider packard, thank you!

    The Chinese Sinar shutter release do work, and might be a small spare: tiny, but short. $57.95

    Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,852

    Re: Shutter for Heliar 300mm 4.5

    WP and contact prints ok, now where and what kind of images are your goals?

    If you've never done sheet film before, know there is a STEEP learning curve and the learning curve is made steeper and more $ due to film size. IMO, many reasons to start with a smaller sheet film format size, then move up once the basics skills and needs are well understood and well practiced.

    As for camera, it goes back again to what the image goals are. What lenses are required to produce the images in mind. If the exposure times are long, using the lens cap with a stop watch works good, no shutter needed.

    No folder-field camera of the same film format size will be more sturdy than a GOOD monorail camera. Monorail cameras have less of a weight-bulk restriction allowing them to be built a LOT more stout than a field folder which is often specifically designed to be light weight, easily portable and folds up for transport. In the case of Sinar, it is modular like Lego, film formats can be interchanged easily. Specific to the Sinar P, the front standard is rated to support about 8 pounds of lens in front. Rear standard can be used to support small video cameras and such or the 8x10 P rear standard can be modified to larger than 8x10 by adapting film back and bellows. All this comes at the cost of size, weight, reduced portability and related.

    There is no camera that is meets both requirements with perfection, it is ALL a set of trade offs. This is why figuring out what the image goals are is SO important making the camera choice being of far less importance as it is (said many, many times here) really a light tight box that is flexi in the middle with both ends adjustable and ideally stable.

    What about tripod, light meter, film holders, dark cloth, ground glass magnifier, transport case and all other items related to making any sheet film images?

    IMO, the Svedovsky 8x10 at $4100 USD is over priced as there are SO many excellent used view cameras on the market for far less $.

    Save your $ for film, chemistry, print making goods and related image making items as this is where the real cost of doing LF is and where light can be coaxed into producing expressive images.


    Bernice



    Quote Originally Posted by fwaeyten View Post
    I have a Svedovsky 8x10 which is quite sturdy. It comes with 140mm x 140mm lensboards which seem to be Sinar size. According to Svedovsky they are likely to fit.
    Why 8x10? Because I can do contact prints and I want to do wet plate as well. I know that for wet plate I don’t need a shutter, but want to see if I could use it for film as well.
    I know 8x10 is more expensive, but it seems to be the perfect intersection between LF and ULF ( usability and results). Personal opinion of course, which is subject to change ��

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    19

    Re: Shutter for Heliar 300mm 4.5

    Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    WP and contact prints ok, now where and what kind of images are your goals?

    If you've never done sheet film before, know there is a STEEP learning curve and the learning curve is made steeper and more $ due to film size. IMO, many reasons to start with a smaller sheet film format size, then move up once the basics skills and needs are well understood and well practiced.

    As for camera, it goes back again to what the image goals are. What lenses are required to produce the images in mind. If the exposure times are long, using the lens cap with a stop watch works good, no shutter needed.

    No folder-field camera of the same film format size will be more sturdy than a GOOD monorail camera. Monorail cameras have less of a weight-bulk restriction allowing them to be built a LOT more stout than a field folder which is often specifically designed to be light weight, easily portable and folds up for transport. In the case of Sinar, it is modular like Lego, film formats can be interchanged easily. Specific to the Sinar P, the front standard is rated to support about 8 pounds of lens in front. Rear standard can be used to support small video cameras and such or the 8x10 P rear standard can be modified to larger than 8x10 by adapting film back and bellows. All this comes at the cost of size, weight, reduced portability and related.

    There is no camera that is meets both requirements with perfection, it is ALL a set of trade offs. This is why figuring out what the image goals are is SO important making the camera choice being of far less importance as it is (said many, many times here) really a light tight box that is flexi in the middle with both ends adjustable and ideally stable.

    What about tripod, light meter, film holders, dark cloth, ground glass magnifier, transport case and all other items related to making any sheet film images?

    IMO, the Svedovsky 8x10 at $4100 USD is over priced as there are SO many excellent used view cameras on the market for far less $.

    Save your $ for film, chemistry, print making goods and related image making items as this is where the real cost of doing LF is and where light can be coaxed into producing expressive images.


    Bernice
    Thanks for your concern .
    First of all, the svedovsky cost me 2000 Euro ( I have ordered it 6 months ago), new. I don't know where you got the 4100 price from (http://svedovsky.com/cameras/8x10-camera/). I preferred a new camera and did research before I bought it. I prefer not to get into a new system only to find out that parts are no longer made and then having to pay an arm and a leg on second hand stuff because it's rare.
    I have gotten a Gitzo tripod on ebay, I have several light meters, a dark cloth, a magnifier, film holders etc... I have already developed my first few sheets with success, it's not rocket science and I think I have the basic skills . I have been doing my own film development for a couple of years now (35mm and Medium), so I am not a complete beginner. I have taken workshops for wet plate so I know how that process works and I have the materials, although I must admit I haven't made my own chemicals yet. So I want to do primarily portraits, both film and wet plate or even other alternative processes, with the occasional landscape.
    I prefer to pay a little more for good gear that lasts longer and is a joy to work with than turn every penny and suffer and give up. I fully appreciate that there are a lot of great old camera's around, but so far it seems I made a good choice with the Svedovsky. It is compatibe with sinar stuff, toyo film holders I bought second hand work great and the support I got so far is good.
    I am not scared by a steep learning curve, nor am I scared to ask questions, so voila.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,852

    Re: Shutter for Heliar 300mm 4.5

    If the Svedovsky 8x10 works with the Sinar shutter, get a Sinar shutter, select your optics and make images.
    Not a lot more to discuss.


    Bernice

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •