Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shutter for Heliar 300mm 4.5

Re: Shutter for Heliar 300mm 4.5

The “right” Heliar for 8x10” is the 360mm.

The Sinar shutter is super for barrel lenses. But best on a Period Sinar system or one of the few modern camera Systems designed to accept the genial shutter. Packard is fine for slow emulsions but not for normal speeds unless you are happy with ND filters. Remember that many Converts to wet plate do loose interest quite rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    The “right” Heliar for 8x10” is the 360mm.

The Sinar shutter is super for barrel lenses. But best on a Period Sinar system or one of the few modern camera Systems designed to accept the genial shutter. Packard is fine for slow emulsions but not for normal speeds unless you are happy with ND filters. Remember that many Converts to wet plate do loose interest quite rapidly.
    It looks like the Svedovsky accepts it, so I will give it a try in combination with the Iris lens board from chamonix. Like this I could have a system with a universal board/shutter that accepts most lenses. I will post my results when I got the stuff. Out of curiosity, why is the 360 the "right" Heliar?

It is right because of having coverage for 8x10 - whilst the 300mm Heliar was designed for 16x21cm - close to full plate size. This applies to both the original Heliar design and the later Dynar style version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 81683B18-46E2-4387-AE53-A02FB8FCF05E.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    If the Svedovsky 8x10 works with the Sinar shutter, get a Sinar shutter, select your optics and make images.
    Not a lot more to discuss.

Bernice
    I can confirm that the Svedovsky takes the Sinar Board. The Chamonix Iris Board fits perfectly. The Sinar Copal Shutter is on its way.

And here's the copal shutter attached to the camera: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MAG...Ug632yXa4/view
    It fits better upside down.

With the iris Board before:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3748.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	209126

Very Nice design.
    The only problem I can see is that the clearance between the Iris clamp and the shutter opening is very limited, meaning that you can only Mount lenses which have the male flange thread at the very end of the barrel. Which is fortunately the case with the Heliar design!

Looking very good! Could the shutter be mounted on the back side of the front standard, with the iris clamp on the front, in order to increase distance and even out the weight? How is the front when a heavy lens is mounted? Does a Heliar need extra support, or only heavy lenses?

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Very Nice design.
    The only problem I can see is that the clearance between the Iris clamp and the shutter opening is very limited, meaning that you can only Mount lenses which have the male flange thread at the very end of the barrel. Which is fortunately the case with the Heliar design!
    You are absolutely right. It is a problem. I think mounting the shutter behind the front plate between the bellows and the front plate is a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    Looking very good! Could the shutter be mounted on the back side of the front standard, with the iris clamp on the front, in order to increase distance and even out the weight? How is the front when a heavy lens is mounted? Does a Heliar need extra support, or only heavy lenses?

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk
    Yes, someone already did it. https://www.timlaytonfineart.com/blo...ix-view-camera

heavy lenses could be a problem, but thightening the flange behind the iris helps.

Many People have done it ( mounting the copal sinar shutter behold the front standard )!

I have a tailboard 18x24 cm camera which I modified to Mount the copal shutter between the bellows and the front standard. Chamonix make a version which is virtually designed around the use of the copal sinar shutter. There are earlier threads on this use.