Thread: RH Designs Zone Master II With MG V Paper

RH Designs Zone Master II With MG V Paper

I was recently given some old remnants from an old darkroom and in the box was an RH Design Zone Master II.
    Today, I started to look at it and see what it can do and after spending an hour or so studying the manual I gave it a go on some Ilford MG IV paper.

To be honest, I was very impressed with the results after just making 2 measurements as indicated in the manual.

Question:
    I have no MGIV paper left now and the next purchase is going to MG V and according to the manual, the calibration for the ZomeMaster II is for MV IV. I know you can re calibrate it for any paper but the process is beyond my darkroom experience.

Has anyone already calibrated this device for Ilford MG V and if so are they willing to share the numbers so I can push them into this device I have.

Ian

Re: RH Designs Zone Master II With MG V Paper

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Weston View Post

Thanks Steve

I just switched from MGIV to MGV, and I use an RH Designs Analyser Pro and calibrated it for the new paper. I also re-calibrated it for the MGIV paper, and my values were different than what was built in.

My enlarger set-up is an Omega D2, with separate condensers, and the standard lamp house with the PH211 incandescent bulb. So it is sort of a condenser enlarger, but the frosted bulb gives it a diffusion character.

So, the numbers for Ilford MGIV RC Deluxe glossy are:

Grade: 00 0 1 2 3 4 5

Offset: -2 -4 -5 -5 -6 -7 -9
    Contrast: 211 196 176 152 123 89 51

For the new paper, Ilford MGV RC Deluxe glossy:

Grade: 00 0 1 2 3 4 5

Offset: -6 -8 -8 -8 -8 -8 -11
    Contrast: 165 142 128 90 75 60 60

I have used about 20 sheets of the new paper so far, and the calibration works well. One thing though, is I tend to use a 1/2 to full-step lower filter grade than I did with the MGIV. Also the MGV paper is about 1-stop faster then MGIV.