Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New To LF and To LFPF

Re: New To LF and To LFPF

Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hi Penguinoid.

I noticed you joined shortly before me and wish you a great time here. I've lived in several parts of London over the years, now in a leafy part in the south. No shortage of cityscape material, although that 5.9kg weight you mention limits mobility. I guess the lighter weight of the Intrepid will make that part easier for you.
    Thanks! I used to live in south London too, but in a not-so-leafy part: Rotherhithe. I did live in Bromley for a bit too, though.

The lighter weight of the Intrepid is a big advantage. There are disadvantages too: it can be a bit difficult to lock down rigidly, and I can't change the bellows or add extension rails, both of which would be good. It was actually affordable (relatively speaking!), which is what allowed me to buy it in the first place.

Hope you have a great time on the forum too. Sorry I can't help with the query re Foma 200 film -- I've only used Foma 100 so far. I'm experimenting with rating that at ISO 80 to keep more highlight details.

Reciprocity failure seems to be a weak point with Foma film however -- at a certain point it just seems to fall off a cliff. A 1 sec exposure with Foma 100 actually ends up as 2 sec with reciprocity failure calculated in, while apparently a 30 sec exposure would end up as 5 min 47 sec(!!!). I'm using the Reciprocity+ iPhone app for this, which is pretty handy. This has the data for Foma 200 included, but obviously at EI 200, not EI 100. I honestly have no idea how pulling the film one stop would affect reciprocity failure. This post on another forum was about the only advice I could find, and it's not specific to Foma 200. It seems worth a read, however — there are a couple of useful replies. One suggests it won't have any affect, you just need to use the right amount of reciprocity correction for the exposure you've metered. Another suggests that it really needs trial and error to determine (but in more complex terms than that — it's worth reading).

Also, a factsheet from Ilford notes that:
    You may also find that the contrast is increased withlong exposures. This is because of the light level difference in light levels between highlights and shadows in the image in effect giving different reciprocity failure within the image. If this occurs, then pulling the development may be required (reducing development time) but will depend on the range of light levels in the image.
    Not sure if any of that is helpful....

You can also check out Luland's copy at: http://www.luland.com.cn/en/info/214.html
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

For heavy cameras I use either a Ries, or a Bogen cine tripod and head (I forget the head number, but it had no problem with old 3 tube video cameras, an Arri 35 or with an Arri Super 16 in a blimp). After using the Ries I now realize that much of what people think that they need, they don't.

I have the 200 Foma but I have only shot a few sheets. I rated them at 160 and shot in sunlight. I am now finishing my last 50 sheets of Forte 200 from the Freezer.

Some of my biggest challenges in the early stages of LF are figuring out Fomapan 200 reciprocity (when exposing at 100 ISO)
    Fenton
    The reciprocity failure of Fomapan 200 is absolutely horrible.
    To get 10 seconds of exposure you need to expose for 90 seconds for example. All according to Foma's own data sheet
    At ISO 200 though.

Quote Originally Posted by lassethomas View Post
    The reciprocity failure of Fomapan 200 is absolutely horrible.
    To get 10 seconds of exposure you need to expose for 90 seconds for example. All according to Foma's own data sheet
    At ISO 200 though.
    The Fomapan data sheet seems to move in four big steps. I wonder if there should be a smoother curve, where a measured exposure of 30 seconds might require slightly more reciprocity compensation than 9x and a sixty second exposure might need yet more again. As I said, though, I'm new at this and probably need to do some trial and error.

There's info in other threads about user-tested reciprocity for Foma 200. It might be worth hunting down.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

The Fomapan data sheet seems to move in four big steps. I wonder if there should be a smoother curve, where a measured exposure of 30 seconds might require slightly more reciprocity compensation than 9x and a sixty second exposure might need yet more again. As I said, though, I'm new at this and probably need to do some trial and error.
    I tried this summer with exposures up to measured 30 seconds and got useable results, when trying to go by the data sheet.
    Still, as much as I like FOma 200 and 400, I rather use something with less failure for long exposures.