Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New To LF and To LFPF

New To LF and To LFPF

Hello.

I'm a recent graduate to large format, still an ardent user of MF and 35mm. Based in London, I do a mixture of still life, landscape, cityscape and skyscape photos, always on the lookout for new ideas.

Some of my biggest challenges in the early stages of LF are figuring out Fomapan 200 reciprocity (when exposing at 100 ISO) and how to set myself up for colour processing at home. Could also use insight into tripod heads that will comfortably hold my Sinar P2 4x5, as the ball head that has worked so well for my MF cameras is not as sturdy as I'd like and very fiddly to get level. Any and all guidance appreciated.

Regards,

Fenton

Re: New To LF and To LFPF

Welcome Fenton.

For a tripod head, i'd suggest any of the Manfrotto heads that take the RC4 or hex plates. Another option could be the Manfrotto geared heads.

Then, there's heads made by Linhof that come up now and again.

Mike

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I love a ball-head with MF but NEED a 3-way pan with LF. What works for me is a Bogen/Manfrotto 3047. Out of production but plentiful on eBay. Look for the later versions. Earlier versions likely will need an overhaul.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum and LF!

Not to disagree with Brian above, but I have two Bogen 3047 heads and I find it of questionable use with my 8x10 Deardorff (about 12 lbs.) I believe a Sinar P2 4x5 weighs in at around 13 lbs so, personally, I wouldn't recommend a 3047. I don't like ballheads for LF, but the RRS BH-55 would definitely hold your camera with ease. For a more traditional approach of a 3-way head, I'd suggest the Gitzo G-1570m or, if you've got the budget, an Arca-Swiss Cube. I'm not familiar with any geared head, but I'd think one of those should work; the Majestic 1007 will hold cameras up to 35 lbs, for example.

loujon

Hi Fenton & Welcome to the forum!

The answers/advice above are very sound & I'll only add seeing how your camera is a Sinar P2 4x5 it will be most at home on the Sinar Pan/tilt head. I know you'll find nothing more stable or easy to use with Sinar cameras. One reason for the Sinar head being so stable & working so well w/ Sinar cameras is owing to how side to side tilt/movement is a builtin function of the Sinar camera rail/rail block system so the Sinar head does away with this side to side axis point making it a VERY solid platform and it just works like a charm in conjunction with any & all Sinar cameras.

One more point is the base of the Sinar pan/tilt head has pins & groves that mate with your Sinar tripod block which does away with any unwanted swinging of the Sinar camera on the Sinar head base.BTW The pins are removable for use with other brands of cameras.

Here's an example. https://oneofmanycameras.com/product...ead-cat-516-41

I have that camera. I've tried a bunch of heads over the years, and my favorite is the Sinar Pan Tilt...by far.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

“Not to disagree with Brian above, but I” disagreed nonetheless. LOL No problem... all opinions are welcomed!

BTW, I use my 3047 with Cambo SCN 4x5, which is pretty heavy, and a couple of Speed Graphics. It has been in use since 1982 and was getting to the point I didn’t like it myself... hard to lock down. But after an easy overhaul it worked great for me, even with a heavy monorail. YMMV.

Hi Fenton,

Hello from Australia! I'm pretty much in the same boat, as I just started large format photography recently, albeit with an Intrepid 5x7. There's quite a learning curve! The Intrepid at least is quite light (1.4kg, vs the Sinar P2 at 5.9kg), so I'm just using the same tripod head I use for everything else with no issues so far.

I grew up in London, and (believe it or not) still miss the place. What part of London are you based in? There should be plenty of opportunities for cityscapes, unless things go back into lockdown again.

Hi Penguinoid.

I noticed you joined shortly before me and wish you a great time here. I've lived in several parts of London over the years, now in a leafy part in the south. No shortage of cityscape material, although that 5.9kg weight you mention limits mobility. I guess the lighter weight of the Intrepid will make that part easier for you.

Sticking with Sinar makes good sense. Thanks. It may take some patient shopping to find one, but I'm up for it. If anyone knows of one available in the UK, I'm interested.