Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Schneider Symmar S 210 5.6 help

Re: Schneider Symmar S 210 5.6 help

Missing 3 pictures here: the first showing the back lenses to show condition and reflections, the second an 8x10" photo with this used at f8 and f22. If the original lens hit ground, the aluminium might be destroyed so it's not sharp anymore. With the hourly rates for a machinist in Pakistan, the result can be good, and the lens could be as good as new, but you will not know until it's tested. My apo symmar 210 had a dent in my parents house, falling out of my hands. My father, a machinist, held the lens and wooden hammer handle in position and I swinged the second hammer until we could enter a filter again.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

I have never seen something like this offered elsewhere. It does not match "golden" series, as those had also front element in brass like finishing. Looks some DIY job to me. I am very curious about what it is really.

Now if the front element looks fine and the shutter looks fine and the seller can reduce the price, then you can play the long game by waiting a for single rear cell to becomes available (on eBay etc).

This of course means certain risk and instead of you I would probably not take it unless I am sure that the suspicious lens offered can actually take decent pictures.

The spots look like fungus. Why assume the shutter works properly since the rest of the lens appears to be in poor shape? Did the owner take care of it?

To update here:
    I bit the bullet and GAS got the better of me, despite most people's caution.However, because of everyone's advice here, I was able to haggle the price down to roughly 70 usd from his initial 150. The lens doesn't have have any haze or fungus, but more importantly the shutter is in perfect condition, the front cell seems great but has it's share of Schiendritis.

Here is a test image (of my wife as my ever accommodating test subject) with the lens at F8 on artista 400, which I have scanned on a epson v550 (@1600dpi) and just the black points set

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled_Panorama2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	208924

This is a 100% Crop

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	208925

This looks like a good-enough centered back cell for portraits, and could even work for landscape. I think the machinist had the time he needed. Nice portrait!

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Well that’s a pleasant surprise!

I would love to have been able to watch that machinist do this work.

David

Schneideritis never hurt anybody. Lens look plenty sharp enough. Good for you!

To clarify the images I posted of the lens earlier showed threads and even to me they seemed to be of the rear cell but the rear cell sits perfectly and those threads are for the retaining ring which is missing. There wasn't a need for a machinist, but will probably need one if I can't find a retaining ring locally

I went for the shutter but got lucky with the lens