Thread: Help with Super Topcor 5,6/120?

Re: Help with Super Topcor 5,6/120?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelari View Post
    I did forum searches with combinations of front/rear and element/cell:

"front element" 83 pages (of hits)
    "front cell" 30 pages
    "rear element" 77 pages
    "rear cell" 32 pages

Interesting. But, getting back to the subject in the title: continuing to peer at the Super Topcor, I finally became aware of a small screw on the shutter. It really looks like the gap on the thin flat brass ring that I have mentioned is meant for that screw. Then, there is a tiny hole on the Horseman board that, if positioned just right, will allow you to work the screw.

All three – screw, gap, and hole – are now aligned. But the lever for focusing just won't budge.
    You didn't remove the screw holding this brass ring and remove the brass ring in the picture did you? If that is the case you probably need to take the shutter apart to re-position the pins in the slots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horseman ring.jpg.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	208822

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    You didn't remove the screw holding this brass ring and remove the brass ring in the picture did you? If that is the case you probably need to take the shutter apart to re-position the pins in the slots.
    No, I didn't. Your photo shows the front of the shutter. The screw and the brass ring with the gap I'm writing about are on the opposite (rear) side.

Can you post a picture. I don't see any brass ring on the back of my Horseman 120, or any of the other lenses for that matter.

This photo shows the brass ring and the screw. It really looks like the ring's gap and the screw belong together, doesn't it?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SupTopShuBraRin.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	208837

Thank you for the picture. I have never removed a Seiko shutter from it's lensboard before. Since the flange focal length is measured on these lenses from the 4 machined pads of the lensboard, any shims back there between the shutter and lensboard need to be in the proper place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelari View Post
    This photo shows the brass ring and the screw. It really looks like the ring's gap and the screw belong together, doesn't it?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SupTopShuBraRin.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	208837
    That raised screw on one side of the back of the shutter can not be an alignment screw as it would prevent the shutter from sitting perfectly flush on the lens board. More likely it is used as an alignment screw for proper positioning of the shutter to the board.

Which is very important on a Horseman to make sure the board mounted sync wiring are not broken

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    That raised screw on one side of the back of the shutter can not be an alignment screw as it would prevent the shutter from sitting perfectly flush on the lens board. More likely it is used as an alignment screw for proper positioning of the shutter to the board.
    Tin Can

Thank you, everybody. I think we can agree that the brass ring issue has been solved. But two problems still remain:

1. Can the flash socket be removed from the Horseman board to accompany the lens (and the shutter)? That is, without breaking things?

2. The lever that should (I believe) open the shutter for focusing doesn't work. On this issue, however... Could it be that it is not supposed to work? I mean, there is a flash sync selector (V-X-M) that doesn't work, either (it is fixed at X). If the Horseman board is meant for cameras that don't have a ground glass, opening the shutter manually would not make sense, would it? (I know I wrote, earlier, that the lever worked "before". But I'm not so sure, anymore. Maybe it never did.)

The shutter is broken if those functions don't work.

Probably a very stupid question, but you do have the shutter cocked?
    Expert in non-working solutions.