Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Avedon

Drew Wiley

Re: Avedon

Lik's prints look utterly abominable in his galleries, downright amateurish, just big, overpriced, and ridiculously PS fake colorized. Quite a bit of other blatant manipulation too. But both Lik and Kinkade employed high-pressure sales people using whatever verbal bait or costume seemed to work. That can occur in all kinds of shady galleries; but since those were either franchises or directly run, it was policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Lik's prints look utterly abominable in his galleries, downright amateurish, just big, overpriced, and ridiculously PS fake colorized. Quite a bit of other blatant manipulation too. But both Lik and Kinkade employed high-pressure sales people using whatever verbal bait or costume seemed to work. That can occur in all kinds of shady galleries; but since those were either franchises or directly run, it was policy.
    Thanks, guys. I had never heard of Lik nor seen any of his work. Unfortunately, I did a search and now I need to page through a Friedlander or Weston book to cleanse my visual cortex.

Kinkade has been dead for years. People still buy his originals and copies and greetings cards, and posters,, etc. They want his work. It makes them happy. It's their taste not yours. Be happy for them. There's no high pressure sales goings on. Lik helps drive the price of photography up so other photographers can make a better living. Be happy for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Kinkade has been dead for years. People still buy his originals and copies and greetings cards, and posters,, etc. They want his work. It makes them happy...
    My mother, at 86, loves Kincade Copies of his originals still sell very well in Brazil.

What could I say? ... makes her happy. But I'm happy too, since she doesn't hang them; she only hangs my father's paintings

Much about cultivating an audience. Avedon busted the art tradition mould by creating images in high key, hard hitting and simply different. There are similarities between Avedon and Andy Warhol as that was part of the 60's tradition busting at a time when the world wanted change and a different look.

Personally, Avedon and Andy Warhol is not that high on the interest list, except that can never apply to others. Avedon, Andy Warhol and countless others have their audience and following, best to let this be, appreciate and understand what their art is about like, dislike, hate, love or what ever.. art is intended to inspire and stimulate an emotional response from those sharing their art expressions. If the art item caused an emotional response, it's done what art should do.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Much about cultivating an audience. Avedon busted the art tradition mould by creating images in high key, hard hitting and simply different. There are similarities between Avedon and Andy Warhol as that was part of the 60's tradition busting at a time when the world wanted change and a different look.

Personally, Avedon and Andy Warhol is not that high on the interest list, except that can never apply to others. Avedon, Andy Warhol and countless others have their audience and following, best to let this be, appreciate and understand what their art is about like, dislike, hate, love or what ever.. art is intended to inspire and stimulate an emotional response from those sharing their art expressions. If the art item caused an emotional response, it's done what art should do.

Bernice
    I get angry and yell at my photos that I screwed up. Must be good art. Thanks for the advice.

Art is evolutionaily inherited from earth's critters. Birds sing and dance for a mate. We humans are definitely critters of earth. It is communication, which has evolved over vast time.

Even the current virus is alive and communicating...everything exists on a Bell curve

DNA editing is happening, we are making makers to our own specs, maybe right and maybe wrong

I argue, the whole damn universe is art

$$$ making may be short term aberrational art, if we ever tune in to a larger cosmic market, or we are just cute squirrels gathering nuts...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post

Bernice
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Art is evolutionaily inherited from earth's critters. Birds sing and dance for a mate. We humans are definitely critters of earth. It is communication, which has evolved over vast time.

Even the current virus is alive and communicating...everything exists on a Bell curve

DNA editing is happening, we are making makers to our own specs, maybe right and maybe wrong

I argue, the whole damn universe is art

$$$ making may be short term aberrational art, if we ever tune in to a larger cosmic market, or we are just cute squirrels gathering nuts...
    I like to think that God has a purpose for us not that we only gather nuts. After all, art per se has no purpose. It just hangs there. But yet it inspires us. We think so highly of it and give it such importance because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Drew - 17000 8 x10 negatives over a five year period,, 130 final prints for the exhibit.. this project will go down in history as one of the greatest photo projects ever.... When he was near death he was asked if he had any regrets, his answer was that he wished he had continued on The American West.

This work is brilliant IMHO.
    I absolutely agree with you Bob, & yes Laura Wilson's "Avedon at Work: In The American West" is a worthwhile read.

Well, I don't read into his white sheet backdrops a "democratization" of his subjects at all. That's more an art critic's retro assessment, I suspect. At a certain point he found it to be an effective graphic tool, and then kinda became a stuck record with it. For example, note his cookie cutter individual cutouts of steelworkers, welders, etc, splayed like steamed crabs against white backdrops. That was indeed interesting as a graphic novelty at first, but doesn't do much for something allegedly in the West, where it's like looking at zoo animals in artificial cages devoid of any native context, which Avedon would probably have been incapable of appreciating anyway. Maybe some people like that he was an outsider, but it leaves me cold.
    Backdrops do serve a purpose.
    Penn used one also, just a more organic feel to his.