Thread: Upgrading a lens shutter

Upgrading a lens shutter

I have a Rodenstock Rotelar 270mm f5.6 lens in a Graphic Syncro Compuur shutter. I hate the fiddly way the preview works with this shutter and wouldnt mind replacing the shutter with a newer style Copal with a preview lever like my other lenses have.
    What do I need to know to accomplish this task? I need to source a shutter but then how do I get the correct f stop scale on it for that lens? Tips for ensuring proper element spacing is appreciated too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 70D0A66B-62A9-40F7-B30A-4B29A44D54DD.jpeg  

Re: Upgrading a lens shutter

Go to Jeff at Quality Camera behind GT and he should be able to help you. He is by appointment only.

loujon

It wont be simple swap out & it wont be inexpensive to have the proper thread couplers plus the new f stop scales

I would sell this one & replace it with a like Tele lens in a factory mounted Copal shutter

Louie, no couplers are required. You may have been thinking of swapping cells from a Graflex 1000 shutter -- the lens was supplied in that shutter too -- into a regular normal #1.

It is a simple swap, unscrew the cells from the old shutter and screw them into the new one. Compur #1 and Copal #1 shutters have the same tube lengths and threading so swapping cells from one to the other requires no adapters or machining.

The new shutter will have to be scaled for the lens. skgrimes does this work and for all I know so does Quality Camera. I've had skg scale shutters. Gary, ask both for prices.

Gary, I have a set of 270/6.6 Rotelar cells in the drawer. I b'lieve they were originally mounted in a Graflex 1000. They came to me in a Compur #1, have threaded bushings so they'll fit it. I had a better use for the shutter ... FWIW, I offered the cells to Mr. Galli. He and I are on good terms, occasionally give each other small gifts. He wouldn't take them, said he'd had one and it was terrible.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Louie, no couplers are required. You may have been thinking of swapping cells from a Graflex 1000 shutter -- the lens was supplied in that shutter too -- into a regular normal #1.

It is a simple swap, unscrew the cells from the old shutter and screw them into the new one. Compur #1 and Copal #1 shutters have the same tube lengths and threading so swapping cells from one to the other requires no adapters or machining.

The new shutter will have to be scaled for the lens. skgrimes does this work and for all I know so does Quality Camera. I've had skg scale shutters. Gary, ask both for prices.

Gary, I have a set of 270/6.6 Rotelar cells in the drawer. I b'lieve they were originally mounted in a Graflex 1000. They came to me in a Compur #1, have threaded bushings so they'll fit it I had a better use for the shutter ... FWIW, I offered the cells to Mr. Galli. He and I are on good terms, occasionally give each other small gifts. He wouldn't take them, said he'd had one and it was terrible.
    WOW Great to know brother Dan! I just figured seeing how it's so rare for this type of swap out in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Go to Jeff at Quality Camera behind GT and he should be able to help you. He is by appointment only.
    Thanks Bob, that would make life a lot simpler.

Thank you all for the input. I found a nice Copal no 1 shutter in Japan for a very good price and it all fit like a glove. Now all my lenses have similar shutters and Im much happier with my lens.