Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Visualization, Pre and Post?

Re: Visualization, Pre and Post?

Exactly...Minor ties the two together very tightly. He uses the Zone System as a key to (pre)visualization...which is simply to be able to look at what is in front of the camera and know how it will appear when you make your print. The Zone System, and the knowledge of and experience with the equipment and process not only allows one to get from the (pre)visualization to the print, but helps one to (pre)visualize in the first place.

Another tool to help the process of visualization is looking at lots of good photographs and art in general...to give one's brain images to feed off of.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

All of the above/none of the above. Unless all of this kind of thing becomes pretty much an instinctive act, it's just a set of Lego blocks. I find it hard to believe that even Minor White thumbed his way through his own manifesto methodology before actually tripping the shutter; there's just too much sheer Gestalt in his work to conclude that. Even one of his prime students remarked that "he wished Minor would just shut up", because so much more was learned just watching him actually take a picture than listening to him repeating all the voices of little green men inside his head. I suspect Minor fiddled around in the darkroom quite a bit to find the best rendering of a negative, just like all of us, which might or might not have turned out the same as he had "previsualized". I really don't care. I get way more from simply looking at one his exceptional prints than bothering to read every overcomplicated diecast dogma he wrote.
    All that Zone System talk is just ballpark anyway - getting a versatile neg where the ball is at least in bounds either side. No need for mystical connotations about each segment of eight grays, or examining the entrails of an owl each morning like Minor did.

Somewhere in my reading, don't know where now, I recall a quote from White's most famous student, Paul Caponigro;
    "Head for the cosmos, Minor, they'll never be able to corner you there."
    Successful pictures can withstand all manner of verbiage, but all the explanations about visualization, pre-, post-, or whatever, cannot save a bad one.

I think you have to smoke a joint to pre-visualize. Without it, you can only visualize. I believe, and I'm not an English major, that there is no such word as previsualize. It's like there no such word as irregardless. The right words are visualized and regardless. When you visualize, you already are doing it "pre" anything. You're imaging now how it will look later. It's redundant to add pre. It would be like saying pre-before.

Pre-visualization is all the work, experience, and knowledge-gathering one does before one can visualize.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

so we want to be nonredundant which is a word...
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Postvisualization is necessary if you're into calibrating previsualization. Post-nonredundant; prepostvisualization? Let's see, there's the inner planets, the asteroid belt, the outer planets, the Kuiper belt .... where are the other four zones? Only NASA, Timothy Leary, and Minor White know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    so we want to be nonredundant which is a word...
    Irregardless, previsualization isn't a word.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Postvisualization is necessary if you're into calibrating previsualization. Post-nonredundant; prepostvisualization? Let's see, there's the inner planets, the asteroid belt, the outer planets, the Kuiper belt .... where are the other four zones? Only NASA, Timothy Leary, and Minor White know for sure.
    I think you're prepostvisualizing about LSD not weed.

Previsualization is what you hope to achieve...

Postvisualization is the gyrations undertaken to make what you actually achieved look like what you originally hoped to achieve.