Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visualization, Pre and Post?

Visualization, Pre and Post?

http://blog.juliaannagospodarou.com/...n-comes-first/

Ansel Adams and Visualization. He didn't use "Pre" or "Post" when talking about it.

Minor White apparently came up with that. Few things in Photography are so simple that Minor could not make them complicated - much like Eugene Smith printing from his negatives.

So, do you Pre visualize, or do you visualize?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Re: Visualization, Pre and Post?

I previsualize by having a pot of tea and a good breakfast before venturing out to visualize for the day.

To make it all easier, I think I'll just call it thinking and do it though the whole process -- pre, actual, and post.

Below is my first major 'post-visualization' as a photographer. Originally seen as full-frame, I discovered this image on my proof sheet and it started a love for the proportions..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PrairieCrNarrow.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

It’s just a word. Could just as well be pre-compose and post-compose. Whatever word one wants to use, it seems unlikely that one would be successful in visual arts with just random image capture and no thought process.

In studio I often setup a shot I dreamed up while sleep thinking

I wake up with a plan

Then modify in studio with test shots as reality intrudes

magic is not magic, simply illusion

pre imagined
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    It’s just a word. Could just as well be pre-compose and post-compose. Whatever word one wants to use, it seems unlikely that one would be successful in visual arts with just random image capture and no thought process.
    Since everyone approaches making images differently, it would be surprising if everyone agreed on the same thought process in their approach of making images. As I wrote above, I treat the making of an image as a continous process, so there is no single stage to call 'visualization' (and thus really no pre and post). But thru a few decades of experience, failures and successes, I can connect what I am seeing and experiencing with the possibilities and opportunities of expressing that with a physical print. In simpler words, I do photography.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I agree Vaughn, but in many “continuous processes”, there seem to be either real or imagined “aha moments” that some folks can identify. As you say so clearly... there is no single process. In fact, there may not even be a single “best” process.

I prefer not to pre-visualize. I often find the results of such overthinking to be dry and uninteresting. I much prefer to react to the scene or subject. In other words, the photo will often take me rather than the other ways around.

I prefer shooting people, there is always something I must plan, format, lens, setting, light, patter

My problem now, I don't want to meet anybody in person...

i do have mirrors
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    I prefer not to pre-visualize. I often find the results of such overthinking to be dry and uninteresting. I much prefer to react to the scene or subject. In other words, the photo will often take me rather than the other ways around.
    This sounds like what I was referring to, also.

Previsualization stands for the act of looking at a scene with the physical eye and seeing in the mind's eye how a medium can render the subject.
    That's the definition from the inventor of the phrase. (Zone System Manual, How to Previsualize Your Pictures, by Minor White, fourth edition, pp13)

That's AA's definition of visualization. Basically -- take one's experience with the medium and knowledge of the medium, and go with the flow. or as Minor put it...

The Zone System among its other attributes, helps to make certain that one's ability to previsualize, after practice, achieves spontaneity.
    pp6 of previous reference

I think that there's a bit more to it. After all, the concept of "visualization" or "pre-visualization" is closely tied to the practice of the Zone System.

Part of the point of, "looking at a scene with the physical eye and seeing in the mind's eye how a medium can render the subject," is to determine the exposure (of course), and to decide on the development at the time of exposure. This has evolved over time to basing the exposure by identifying "Zone III" areas in the scene, and thereafter to decide on the development time by determining what should be a Zone "VII" in the scene. Of course, there are variations; but, it has come down to exposing for the shadows and developing for the highlights.

Determining the development time in this fashion is not so easily accomplished after the fact. So, it has made sense for Zone System advocates to emphasize the need for a "visualization" (or a pre-visualization) that includes these details.