Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Australia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Hello from Australia

Hi all. I just thought I'd write a quick post to introduce myself.

I've lurked on the forum for a little while, but only recently bought my first large format camera, an Intrepid 5x7. I've been enjoying learning to use it, and have found it to have a bit of a learning curve — even if just because it's been over a decade since I last shot film, and even then only 35mm and 120.

I have a few ruined sheets of Fomapan to prove that (forgetting to close the shutter before removing the darkslide is a favourite, but I've also had issues with even development), though thankfully I also have a few which I'm quite happy with. I think I am getting to grips with developing the larger film format. I've ordered a B&W King 5x7 developing tank, though, as I'm not enjoying developing in trays in total darkness... I am also experimenting with using photographic paper as film, which has been interesting.

Digitising/scanning is likely to be the next thing I'll have to figure out — I was originally thinking of buying a film scanner, but a 5x7 lightbox and a macro lens for my DSLR may be a more affordable option.

In the meantime, here is one of my first photos taken with my Intrepid, using Fomaspeed Variant 312 (hence easier to scan than negatives). It was shot with a dodgy Fujinon W 150mm f/5.6 (corroded shutter, now being repaired) with an exposure of 1min22sec at f/45. It worked surprisingly well for a first attempt, but I'm hoping I'll gradually improve!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img20200910_23155823_small.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	208712

PS -- one forum related query: is there any reason why I don't seem to have permission to view anyone's profile page, including my own?

Re: Hello from Australia

Welcome!
    Tin Can

Welcome to the forum, where in Oz are you?

Mick.

Ps: Oenology eh?

Thanks! I am in Queensland, near the Gold Coast. Not a great location for photography in general, though thankfully we've escaped the worst of the pandemic (so far).

Yes, have been studying oenology — just finished a research masters at the Uni of Adelaide. It's fun, but (as is typical for the sciences) can be hard to find work in.

I would have thought being located there you have access to squillions of people visiting, so portraits should be a shoe in. You can head into the hinterland and you have places like Lamington NP and other breathtaking scenic places close by. If I remember correctly, Best Of All lookout is in QLD overlooking NSW from around 30-50m above the ground, maybe substantially higher.

Want some sand and stuff, Nth Stradbroke Island is a hop step and jump away.

Then there are architectural pictures just begging, what with garish beach front development and not too far away plenty of Queenslanders still in existence on their stilts with the washing hanging up under the house.

Then when you finally gather some folding green stuff that will enable you to travel, head due west 1,000km to 2,000km and visit some of the very interesting places in sunny Qld. Like Eromanga, where you can purchase fuel directly from the oil refinery, which in turn is refined almost directly from the oil fields not that far away.

Apart from that, you can help your friends with your oenology knowledge; I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    I would have thought being located there you have access to squillions of people visiting, so portraits should be a shoe in. You can head into the hinterland and you have places like Lamington NP and other breathtaking scenic places close by. If I remember correctly, Best Of All lookout is in QLD overlooking NSW from around 30-50m above the ground, maybe substantially higher.

Want some sand and stuff, Nth Stradbroke Island is a hop step and jump away.
    Many thanks for the suggestions! I tend to avoid the national parks, since I know you're not really allowed to go walking by yourself and I can rarely get someone to go with me. They're great when I can get there, though.... Best Of All Lookouts is really beautiful . Binna Burra has recently re-opened (after last year's devastating fires), and it's great to be able to visit again.

Outside the national parks, there are lots of places with beautiful scenery but generally nowhere safe to pull over and take a photo.

I am too nervous to ask for permission to take portraits, so I avoid this....

Then there are architectural pictures just begging, what with garish beach front development and not too far away plenty of Queenslanders still in existence on their stilts with the washing hanging up under the house.
    Most of the Gold Coast itself seems rather suburban, though I admit that since I didn't grow up here it's possible there are more interesting parts that I'm not familiar with.

I can see why other photographers might be interested in photographing suburban houses, but personally don't find them interesting. I'd also be incredibly nervous that the owner might object. I know it's technically legal for me to photograph a private house from the street, but they might not know that.

Then when you finally gather some folding green stuff that will enable you to travel, head due west 1,000km to 2,000km and visit some of the very interesting places in sunny Qld. Like Eromanga, where you can purchase fuel directly from the oil refinery, which in turn is refined almost directly from the oil fields not that far away.
    There are certainly parts of Queensland that are beautiful. I was lucky enough to get out to Winton earlier this year to see the dinosaurs — there is some beautiful country out there. On the way there, Carnarvon Gorge was really beautiful (even if I keep wanting to spell it as Caernarfon, since that's the Welsh spelling of the name), as was Springsure. I tend to prefer to get out of the state when I get the chance to travel, however.

Apart from that, you can help your friends with your oenology knowledge; I'm sure they'll appreciate it.
    First I need some friends who actually drink wine! That's surprisingly rare, in my experience.

Hello from a fellow Intrepid owner (4x5 & 8x10) down in sunny Victoria!!

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Hi Marc! How have you found using the 10x8? I nearly bought one of those, but ended up buying the 5x7 instead — mainly due to lens availability. I avoided the 4x5 as I want to be able to make decent sized contact prints.

I haven't used the 8x10" much (well, I only really started in earnest this year with it, and then along came the plague lockdowns!!) - I'm used to my solid and precise Wista 4x5, so the wobbliness and wonkiness of the front standard is a bit confronting. But it's so so light, and I've made some decent snaps... and the bellows are a satisfying bright red. So I'll persist!! 8x10" ground glass is a bit addictive after all...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by munz6869 View Post
    I haven't used the 8x10" much (well, I only really started in earnest this year with it, and then along came the plague lockdowns!!) - I'm used to my solid and precise Wista 4x5, so the wobbliness and wonkiness of the front standard is a bit confronting. But it's so so light, and I've made some decent snaps... and the bellows are a satisfying bright red. So I'll persist!! 8x10" ground glass is a bit addictive after all...
    It's been a difficult year so far, hasn't it? I was meant to be doing quite a bit of travelling this year, but none of that has happened...

Interesting comment about the wobbliness of the Intrepid. I've had a similar experience with my 5x7, though it's the only large format camera I've used so I can't really make that comparison myself. For me it makes up for this in that I can actually afford it.... I really enjoy using 5x7, it makes 4x5 looks just too small (I have a reducing back for my 5x7, in case I want to try shooting colour). I guess I will have to eventually try out 10x8.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I hope you manage to get out and take some photos as the lockdowns gradually ease!