Hello all!

I recently took possession of a cherry wood Agfa Ansco 8x10 Universal with the brass knobs, rails, etc. So far everything looks to be in good shape - all movements, knobs, etc move freely and function as expected.

The one issue I have is the ground glass/back doesn't "set" properly in the rear standard. It has two brass "back holders" or supports at the lower portion of the standard and two brass "clips" at the top of the standard. If I put the ground glass/back up against the upper clips, there's roughly 1/4 inch or 1/2 cm of distance between the bottom of the back and the lower brass supports. (or vice versa - if I set the back in the lower supports, the same distance exists between the top of the back and the rear standard's upper brass clips)

The upper clips extend straight out, perpendicular to the rear standard while the lower supporting brass appears bent downward.

My thought is a wrench ought to be able to grab and pull those lower supports up in order to properly fit and support the back. However, I'm not sure if doing so with everything attached is more likely to damage the wood of the rear standard. If so, would I be better off removing the rear standard so I can get the brass supports removed from the wood and then straightening the brass?

Has anyone run into this situation or have any general advice?

Thanks much!

Terrel