Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed for stuck lens retaining ring, please

Advice needed for stuck lens retaining ring, please

Hello All,

Using a lens wrench, I've tried to remove the retaining ring from a Calumet Board with Caltar II attached, to no avail. Several previous posts have suggested applying some combination of cold and/or heat to the board. In order to do this, I'd first need to remove both lens elements.

Unfortunately, the front lens also seems to be stuck in the shutter, in addition to the retaining ring being stuck. (The rear element comes off fine.) I wouldn't want to put a lens into the freezer. . . .

I'm assuming turning Left = Loosen for the front element in the shutter? Any other thoughts before I have to send this to a repair shop? I'm on the West Coast, so a more local, trusted repair shop would be helpful, rather than shipping cross-country to Grimes.

Many thanks!

David

PS Just tried putting the board assembly in the heat of direct sunlight for a safe remedy, but no luck ~

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2693.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	208619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E2690.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	208620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2692.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	208621

Dann Corbit

Re: Advice needed for stuck lens retaining ring, please

Quote Originally Posted by David Wolf View Post
    Hello All,

Using a lens wrench, I've tried to remove the retaining ring from a Calumet Board with Caltar II attached, to no avail. Several previous posts have suggested applying some combination of cold and/or heat to the board. In order to do this, I'd first need to remove both lens elements.

Unfortunately, the front lens also seems to be stuck in the shutter, in addition to the retaining ring being stuck. (The rear element comes off fine.) I wouldn't want to put a lens into the freezer. . . .

I'm assuming turning Left = Loosen for the front element in the shutter? Any other thoughts before I have to send this to a repair shop? I'm on the West Coast, so a more local, trusted repair shop would be helpful, rather than shipping cross-country to Grimes.

Many thanks!

David

PS Just tried putting the board assembly in the heat of direct sunlight for a safe remedy, but no luck ~

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2693.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	208619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E2690.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	208620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2692.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	208621
    I don't know if large format lenses are the same, but with regular SLR lenses, sometimes there is a bit of paint or sealant that makes things really hard to open. So a tiny bit of acetone on the end of a q-tip applied strategically to the problem area can help in that instance. If it will help with a large format lens system, I have no idea.

Here is a video that shows that technique when (attempting to) remove fungus from a lens:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MfGg4PnqnU

Eric Woodbury

The front element was stuck on my Fuji 360mm and the shutter needed work. My camera repair guy wrapped the front group rim in double-sided tape for a good hand grip. Came off easily.

Hot/Cold is risky business. I wouldn't. Even with fridge temps, you risk condensation.

Photographer

Go to Harbor Freight and get a set of strap wrenches. They are very inexpensive. I’d bet that you will be able to get the front element out of the shutter.

As far as the retaining ring; put the shutter and lens board in the freezer for an hour. I’d bet you can get them separated.

Let us know what works.
    Keith Pitman

Have mixed views on using Harbor Freight tools. You get what you pay for... Screwdrivers, sockets, bits, and alike wouldn't touch them with a ten foot poll, they can do more harm than good. Using a cheap strap wrench costing maybe under $10 verses using a quality one costing maybe $20 and risking damaging a lens worth hundreds of dollars is a no brainer. A machinist friend of mine told me that he does use harbor Freight tools when he is counting on the tool breaking before the part that he is working on breaking... FYI: he restores the metalwork on vintage 356 Porsches so I'd follow his advice. I've had good results with putting lenses with stuck retaining rings in a freezer.

I would suggest using a little stronger adjustable spanner and using some leverage if you need to.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

(Shrek)

I'm honestly surprised we don't have this problem more often with the aluminum barrels of lenses and aluminum threads on shutters. Sometimes they are so welded together they simply will never come apart; I have 2 or 3 of those on my 'projects' shelf. Aluminum threads are notorious for 'galling', where the parts basically weld themselves together and will break before unscrewing. Either from being threaded with excessively close tolerances, or having enough moisture to create more than the usual aluminum oxide buildup. Some suggestions here: try tightening ever so slightly first, before loosening, and while it is under torque, rap it sharply to see if the vibration from that will break the bond.

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Have mixed views on using Harbor Freight tools. You get what you pay for... Screwdrivers, sockets, bits, and alike wouldn't touch them with a ten foot poll, they can do more harm than good. Using a cheap strap wrench costing maybe under $10 verses using a quality one costing maybe $20 and risking damaging a lens worth hundreds of dollars is a no brainer. A machinist friend of mine told me that he does use harbor Freight tools when he is counting on the tool breaking before the part that he is working on breaking... FYI: he restores the metalwork on vintage 356 Porsches so I'd follow his advice. I've had good results with putting lenses with stuck retaining rings in a freezer.
    I agree that a lot of Harbor Freight tools are crap, but the strap wrenches are a good tool for removing stuck lenses in shutters. Guess what? They are only $4.99 for two! What do you have to lose?

https://www.harborfreight.com/rubber...q=strap+wrench
    Keith Pitman

I had the same problem. After the freezer method did not work, I applied WD40 to the retaining ring and it went off easily. I applied the WD40 with a small brush on the side of the retaining ring. Don't forget to clean everything after the board is removed.

You could always use a Dremmel or similar hand held grinder and cut into the retaining ring until you can snap it off but will obviously need a new one if you do.