Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed for stuck lens retaining ring, please

Dann Corbit

Re: Advice needed for stuck lens retaining ring, please

If you want to use the method of cutting the retaining ring, find the replacement first.
    I spent quite a while unsuccessfully searching for a Shannel shutter replacement ring.
    I ended up buying a ring that is 1/2 millimeter too large. Hot glue time.

penetrating oil or WD40 did the job for me

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    penetrating oil or WD40 did the job for me
    WD-40 worked for me one time on a beater SLR lens. Make sure that the lens is face down when you apply the WD-40, Through capillary action it will seep up into the threads. Since the lens was a beater and I was more interested in just getting the ring off the lens, I applied the WD-40 with the lens face up. Instead of applying a drop, I accidentally squirted out more than a few drops which seeped down the edges of the front elements. After getting the ring off, I put the ring inside the dishwasher with the next load of dishes... ring came out totally clean of WD-40. I've found that running simple parts in the dishwasher really degreases and cleans them up.

Fortunately Copal 1 shutter retaining rings are readily available for a few $.

Your retaining ring has 4 slots. You could make a tool with apiece of wood, like a 4 inch piece of 2x4 and nail in 4 nails whose heads fit the slots with just enough exposure to catch the slots. That way you can turn the ring with great force without distorting it.

PB Blaster is the go to for stuck nuts and bolts on an automobile. It works better than anything else. PB Blaster is mostly naphtha and petroleum oil.

Thank you Everyone for taking the time to help me out, I appreciate your suggestions!

The good news is the retaining ring is now unstuck! I was hoping the simplest, most conservative approach would work, and I lucked out ~

I brought the lens to a former teacher of mine who restores cameras professionally, with much more camera know-how and tools than I. He put on latex gloves and used a lens wrench similar to mine, but perhaps a little beefier. (Mine is made by Rodenstock; his by Toyo and badged by Calumet back in the day.)

Maybe it was the added grip, stronger tool or that I had managed to loosen the ring a bit, but it came off easily with just a bit of extra effort.

So thanks again to all for your interest in helping me out. Now I just have to learn how the use the new camera the lens is now mounted to! But that’s another post . . . stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by David Wolf View Post
    Thank you Everyone for taking the time to help me out, I appreciate your suggestions!

The good news is the retaining ring is now unstuck! I was hoping the simplest, most conservative approach would work, and I lucked out ~

I brought the lens to a former teacher of mine who restores cameras professionally, with much more camera know-how and tools than I. He put on latex gloves and used a lens wrench similar to mine, but perhaps a little beefier. (Mine is made by Rodenstock; his by Toyo and badged by Calumet back in the day.)

Maybe it was the added grip, stronger tool or that I had managed to loosen the ring a bit, but it came off easily with just a bit of extra effort.

So thanks again to all for your interest in helping me out. Now I just have to learn how the use the new camera the lens is now mounted to! But that’s another post . . . stay tuned.
    Run a graphite pencil around the retaining ring thread, it will prevent it from sticking next time, works on filter rings as well.

Hey! I'm sorry you're having trouble with the retaining ring on your lens. It can definitely be frustrating when things don't go as planned. However, I'm glad you found a replacement ring, even if it's slightly larger. Hopefully, the hot glue will do the trick!
    BTW, have you ever heard of a mood ring color chart? It's a fun way to see what your current mood might be. For example, if your ring is green, it could mean that you're feeling balanced and calm. If it's blue, you might be feeling relaxed or content.
    Last edited by MorgenRios; 8-May-2023 at 01:10.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Have mixed views on using Harbor Freight tools. You get what you pay for... Screwdrivers, sockets, bits, and alike wouldn't touch them with a ten foot poll, they can do more harm than good. Using a cheap strap wrench costing maybe under $10 verses using a quality one costing maybe $20 and risking damaging a lens worth hundreds of dollars is a no brainer. A machinist friend of mine told me that he does use harbor Freight tools when he is counting on the tool breaking before the part that he is working on breaking... FYI: he restores the metalwork on vintage 356 Porsches so I'd follow his advice. I've had good results with putting lenses with stuck retaining rings in a freezer.
    No disagreement in general. The strap wrench that I got from HF, though, was actually a rather good product. I’d be more concerned about the application. I bough the step wrench for the same problem… a stuck front element. It was perfectly clear to me, though, that such a solution is fraught with potential damage. Despite the strap there is still a likelihood of points of extreme pressure. Once it worked for me and once it damaged the shutter. Now I use

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	238368