Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lupex Paper

Lupex Paper

Hi Folks

I am making digital silver negatives enlarged to 20 x 24 and want to match them up to Lupex paper which I believe is the same as the Azo paper of old.

I am wondering what developers those familiar with this paper are using. I would like to hear any thoughts.

Bob

Andrej Gregov

Re: Lupex Paper

I haven't used Lupex yet. But with respects to Lodima, I have used Amidol and Formulary's 120 (Ansco 120). Amidol produces a warmer image to my eyes. There may also be a touch more dmax with Amidol. That said, I do prefer 120 with it's long keeping properties (when non diluted), way less messy than Amidol and still makes an excellent image. I have used LDP before with Lodima and it turns out blue--not recommended. That said, I still consider myself a newb with these materials so don't put much weight on the above.

That said, one of the troubling aspects of the traditional silver chloride papers for me has been the lack of supplies. Lodima paper has been out of stock in many grades for years now. I hope they will have another order. Adox appears to be stable at the moment but Lupex is quite expensive. Next on my list for paper testing for silver contact prints (digital and analog) is Ilford Galerie G3 paper. I like that you can expose Ilford G3 paper under an enlarger and with digital negatives you don't have to worry about access to different paper grades, which Ilford no longer produces. I trust Ilford graded paper to be around longer than anyone else, hence my interest in comparing it to Lodima/Lupex. Also, there's many more paper developers available to Ilford papers. If you haven't tested digital silver contacts with Ilford G3 with your usual silver workflow for multi contrast papers, you might give it a go at some point.

That is a good point Andrej I will also look at the Grade 3 Galerie... the only non issue is that my Lambda paper is Galerie G4 so I am not offering a warmer paper option.

I always found MAS prints neutral tone ,, I am hoping to see a warmer tone with Lupex more in the range of Ilford Warmtone or Agfa Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Hi Folks

I am making digital silver negatives enlarged to 20 x 24 and want to match them up to Lupex paper which I believe is the same as the Azo paper of old.

I am wondering what developers those familiar with this paper are using. I would like to hear any thoughts.

Bob
    does Lupex even come in 20x24 size?
    contrary to belief Amidol is not messy...the difference is in the quality of the Amidol. buy the quality product from Artcraft made in England. I have 40 year old Amidol that is very clean and lasts all day...

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I always found MAS prints neutral tone ,, I am hoping to see a warmer tone with Lupex more in the range of Ilford Warmtone or Agfa Classic.
    I develop Lupex in Amidol because it provides a slightly warmer tone than other developers I've tried. But, I've only tried a few different formulas and none reached the warmth of Ilford Warmtone or, based solely on a poor memory, Agfa Classic. I still use Ilford Warmtone to this day, but it has been many, many years since I've used Agfa Classic.

I have Galerie 4, Ilford Warmtone and Agfa Classic prints hanging in my studio space right now.. I remember MAS prints to be neutral, Peter I know you have seen a lot of M&P prints is Lupex neutral like them.. I am ordering some 16 x20 and if it works well may put in a special order for 20 x 24 if they consider doing this.

Andrej I have one of your images hanging on the wall..It is quite neutral I assume it was Gallerie 3. yes no?

Andrej Gregov

Honored one of my images is anywhere near a Carnie wall! That image is Ilford Warmtone + LPD. The LPD does cool down Ilford WT a bit. But that said, I find all of Ilford's warm tone papers on the cool side compared to say something like a Foma 131/132. There's a pop of bronze like hue that I see missing in Ilford Warmtone. Personally, I prefer the Ilford WT paper for traditional neutral looking prints as I like the tonality it exhibits. I think tones are richer in Ilford WT than the other cooler Ilford papers. So, you're seeing the image (neutral) as I intended.

One edit from my note earlier, I mixed up my Ansco developers. It's Formulary 130 that is the good replacement for Amidol. Disregard the 120 note. With regard to MAS's prints, I'd agree they are on the neutral side. That said, if you put a silver chloride contact print developed in Amidol right next to the same print made with Ansco 130, you should see a pop of warmth in the Amidol print. Take away the Ansco print from the comparison, and it'll simply look neutral. I'm outside my expertise to suggest how to get a warmer image with Amidol/130/other developers or techniques with silver chloride but sure experts here can help. I have heard the Lupex is warmer than the Lodima paper so you may already be on the right track.

Final note, I do think down the road it's worth to compare Lupex/Lodima + digital neg contact to one made with Ilford Warmtone + digital contact and a developer of choice. I have done the same experiment with traditional pyro negs and the silver chloride papers were not markedly better than Ilford WT. A bit yes, but with your darkroom jujutsu skills, you may be able to pull out similar performance with traditional silver papers + digital workflow.

Bob I have no experience with lupex ...wish I could help you