Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: film holders vs film hangers vs film carriers vs ... ?

film holders vs film hangers vs film carriers vs ... ?

A film holder is used in the 'taking' camera

A film hanger is used to process film and perhaps for drying

A film carrier holds the film in position for enlarging

A contact printer holds film to paper for...exposure

A slide may be mounted or not, for projection or scanning or ...direct viewing...IRL

please add any other confusing terms when using film
    Tin Can

Re: film holders vs film hangers vs film carriers vs ... ?

For 35mm: I was corrected by someone on APUG/Photrio on my haphazard use of canisters vs. cassettes. The canister, as he told me, is the (usually plastic) box that the cassette (the metal one with the felt light trap) comes in.

On slides: a slide is only a slide when it's mounted; as long as it's not mounted, it's a transparency. Every slide is a transparency, not all transparencies are slides.

Emulsion vs. coating layer: an emulsion is the (usually light-sensitive) material, and it's coated in layers. But not all layers are emulsions in the strict sense. Some layers are e.g. antihalation layers, and are not technically part of the emulsion. Emulsion itself is a rather unfortunate word choice from a chemical/physical viewpoint, as technically a dry emulsion isn't really an emulsion (I think...), but simply a solid (and in this case a compound).

Speaking of antihalation - there's the anti-halation undercoat (AHU), but also the possibility of anti-halation dyes in a multifunctional coating layer, or even a remjet backing.

The rebate is the non-usable film area, oddly enough, which seems entirely unrelated to the strict definition of what a rebate is (i.e. either a refund, or a recess in e.g. a wood carving). In roll film, there's also the 'leader', which is often referred to as (part of) the rebate itself, although not all that is called 'rebate' is actually the leader (and/or trailer/trailing end?).

Then there is sharpness, detail and resolving power, which are...well, I'm not even going to go there. We don't need WWIII.

Wash vs. rinse - at what point does a rinse become a wash step? Or is a very brief wash step in fact a rinse? I'll leave this one out there as well.

The 'dyes in color film' are only dyes after processing. Before processing, there's only dye couplers. At least in the emulsion...

And there's probably more...

Film Reel is for processing rollfilm
    Film Reel is what a projectionist puts on the projector

Film Spool, noun, holder for rolled up film
    Spool Film, verb, to roll film onto a spool

Film Core, a non-light-tight spool for a roll of film

Film Back, part of a camera, frequently removable, that holds and transports the film
    Film Magazine, a film back with a darkslide
    Film Insert, the part of a film back or magazine on which the film is loaded

Rotating film back, usually removable back that can be re-inserted in a different orientation
    Revolving film back, a film back that spins to a different orientation without being removed

Film Speed, ISO measurement of the film
    Film Exposure Index, actual meter setting

Film Exposure, Lux-sec of light reaching the film
    Film Density, optical transmission property of processed film

Film Reciprocity, linear relationship between Exposure and Density
    Film Reciprocity Failure, non-linear or complex relationship between Exposure and Density

Film Latitude, total number of stops under and over the exposure index which produce negatives capable of producing an excellent print.
    Film Dynamic Range, total number of stops between the toe and shoulder on H&D curve
    Film Density Range, total number of stops between the lightest and darkest portions of a processed film

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    We don't need WWIII. ...

And there's probably more...
    Thank your creator that you do not live in Germany. There is "Schärfentiefe" and "Tiefenschärfe". The rest is regulated by Stroebels / Zakia's "Encyclodedia of Photography" ...

Please illuminate, as when I punch those terms into Google, I get DOF only or is fade added?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Casper Lohenstein View Post
    Thank your creator that you do not live in Germany. There is "Schärfentiefe" and "Tiefenschärfe". The rest is regulated by Stroebels / Zakia's "Encyclodedia of Photography" ...
    Tin Can

Anybody hungry? How about a negative sandwich?

When does a sheet of film become a negative?
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Please illuminate, as when I punch those terms into Google, I get DOF only or is fade added?
    it is the same, but some argue bitterly about it

135 film is another term for 35mm film. I think. Some old boxes say "135" on it but it doesn't designate the size of the film. 35mm is the size of the film is that correct? I think 135 just means the type?

A "negative" is called a negative because of the reverse image. That we all agree.

But I'm used to calling slides "positives" cause it is a positive image, and that's how I called it when I worked in this business. Anyone remember "Wes-mounts?". I used to hot glue diaper pins on the back of them, cut out contact sheet image, put it into a "wesmount" and pin them on a lapel. I wonder if I can start an Etsy business....hahahaha.

Sometimes I call lens hoods "gobo". BAsically it just shades the business end of a lens.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    When does a sheet of film become a negative?
    About 10 minutes after it discovers social media.

*rimshot*

... I would say after it's been developed, but I'm an amateur. Or an armature, if I'm using auto-correct.