Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Epson Perfection V800 adjusting for as much as sharpness as possible

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    143

    Epson Perfection V800 adjusting for as much as sharpness as possible

    Hi guys,

    I am re-scanning my images and I know you can adjust the height of the filmholder because the scanner's factory standards can be a little of.

    So, I have scanned an image with the filmholder on it's lowest, midlle and highest point....

    But I don't see any difference in any way?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    143

    Re: Epson Perfection V800 adjusting for as much as sharpness as possible

    Schermafbeelding 2020-10-12 om 17.31.15 by Smith De Westelinck, on Flickr

    These are the results.

  3. #3
    Alan Klein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    New Jersey was NYC
    Posts
    828

    Re: Epson Perfection V800 adjusting for as much as sharpness as possible

    I saw the difference on my V850. It was obvious. Did you scan without sharpening?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    310

    Re: Epson Perfection V800 adjusting for as much as sharpness as possible

    I have the same scanner and I too haven't been able to detect any difference between the different height settings. I don't scan that much and I only scan B&W negative film, but the sharpness of the images I get are wonderful; but I have wondered about the height thing for some time.

    I've only ever scanned 4x5" film.

    Mick.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    143

    Re: Epson Perfection V800 adjusting for as much as sharpness as possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I saw the difference on my V850. It was obvious. Did you scan without sharpening?
    I believe I did, indeed, scan without sharpening because I rather have the control myself.
    Is it possible because I scanned the two adjusted filmholders, without préscanning again?
    That couldn't be it, could it? That for seeing the difference I have to préscan again instead of just scan?

    edit:

    Also I must say this is a very big close-up of this image. So maybe I'm trying to find a better sharpness that just is not possible? But still, I would see some difference, wouldn't I?

  6. #6
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,553

    Re: Epson Perfection V800 adjusting for as much as sharpness as possible

    For what it's worth, I find your third scan to be less sharp than the first two. At least it shows that way on my monitor.

  7. #7
    Alan Klein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    New Jersey was NYC
    Posts
    828

    Re: Epson Perfection V800 adjusting for as much as sharpness as possible

    Quote Originally Posted by neildw View Post
    I believe I did, indeed, scan without sharpening because I rather have the control myself.
    Is it possible because I scanned the two adjusted filmholders, without préscanning again?
    That couldn't be it, could it? That for seeing the difference I have to préscan again instead of just scan?

    edit:

    Also I must say this is a very big close-up of this image. So maybe I'm trying to find a better sharpness that just is not possible? But still, I would see some difference, wouldn't I?
    The best setting is different for each of my two 4x5 holders. One was in the center. The other was in between the center and the lowests setting. MAke sure all four sliders are in the saem position for each scan.

    I did a full scan of the same chrome shot without sharpening on each of the five heights for each holder. Then I marked the best position on each holder with a marker which had the best focus since the sliders can move out of position.

    Double check that the focus is not checked. For some reason Epsonscan always seems to check that box automatically before the scan. Save the scans as tiffs not jpegs. I use 2400 bit scan at 48 bit color.

    You only need to do the test once. So it's worth taking the time.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    143

    Re: Epson Perfection V800 adjusting for as much as sharpness as possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    The best setting is different for each of my two 4x5 holders. One was in the center. The other was in between the center and the lowests setting. MAke sure all four sliders are in the saem position for each scan.

    I did a full scan of the same chrome shot without sharpening on each of the five heights for each holder. Then I marked the best position on each holder with a marker which had the best focus since the sliders can move out of position.

    Double check that the focus is not checked. For some reason Epsonscan always seems to check that box automatically before the scan. Save the scans as tiffs not jpegs. I use 2400 bit scan at 48 bit color.

    You only need to do the test once. So it's worth taking the time.

    I don't understand about the focus you mention? Are you talking about an autofocus? Because I believe V800 had not such a thing? As mentioned by others. Not by own experience.

    I did a scan on the 3 (not5) markers. Could the difference be so marginal that one of the remaining markers makes the difference?

    Thank you for responding.

  9. #9
    Alan Klein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    New Jersey was NYC
    Posts
    828

    Re: Epson Perfection V800 adjusting for as much as sharpness as possible

    Quote Originally Posted by neildw View Post
    I don't understand about the focus you mention? Are you talking about an autofocus? Because I believe V800 had not such a thing? As mentioned by others. Not by own experience.

    I did a scan on the 3 (not5) markers. Could the difference be so marginal that one of the remaining markers makes the difference?

    Thank you for responding.
    I'm sorry. I meant the Unsharp Mask check box, not Focus checkbox in Epsonscan.

    It should have said :
    Double verify that the Unsharp Mask is not checked. For some reason Epsonscan always seems to check that box automatically before the scan. Save the scans as tiffs not jpegs. I use 2400 bit scan at 48 bit color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails epson.jpg  

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    143

    Re: Epson Perfection V800 adjusting for as much as sharpness as possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I'm sorry. I meant the Unsharp Mask check box, not Focus checkbox in Epsonscan.

    It should have said :
    Double verify that the Unsharp Mask is not checked. For some reason Epsonscan always seems to check that box automatically before the scan. Save the scans as tiffs not jpegs. I use 2400 bit scan at 48 bit color.
    Little thing is that I do not use Epson Scan but have bought Silver Fast from the beginnen. :-)

Similar Threads

  1. Help With Epson V800
    By IanBarber in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4-Oct-2020, 12:57
  2. Epson V850-Epson V800, what is the next step up.
    By Smorton in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 1-Jul-2016, 10:31
  3. Epson V800 - Epson Scan Vs Silverfast
    By alanmcd in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 4-Apr-2016, 09:21

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •