Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson Perfection V800 adjusting for as much as sharpness as possible

Epson Perfection V800 adjusting for as much as sharpness as possible

Hi guys,

I am re-scanning my images and I know you can adjust the height of the filmholder because the scanner's factory standards can be a little of.

So, I have scanned an image with the filmholder on it's lowest, midlle and highest point....

But I don't see any difference in any way?

Re: Epson Perfection V800 adjusting for as much as sharpness as possible

Schermafbeelding 2020-10-12 om 17.31.15 by Smith De Westelinck, on Flickr

These are the results.

I saw the difference on my V850. It was obvious. Did you scan without sharpening?

I have the same scanner and I too haven't been able to detect any difference between the different height settings. I don't scan that much and I only scan B&W negative film, but the sharpness of the images I get are wonderful; but I have wondered about the height thing for some time.

I've only ever scanned 4x5" film.

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I saw the difference on my V850. It was obvious. Did you scan without sharpening?
    I believe I did, indeed, scan without sharpening because I rather have the control myself.
    Is it possible because I scanned the two adjusted filmholders, without préscanning again?
    That couldn't be it, could it? That for seeing the difference I have to préscan again instead of just scan?

edit:

Also I must say this is a very big close-up of this image. So maybe I'm trying to find a better sharpness that just is not possible? But still, I would see some difference, wouldn't I?

For what it's worth, I find your third scan to be less sharp than the first two. At least it shows that way on my monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by neildw View Post
    I believe I did, indeed, scan without sharpening because I rather have the control myself.
    Is it possible because I scanned the two adjusted filmholders, without préscanning again?
    That couldn't be it, could it? That for seeing the difference I have to préscan again instead of just scan?

edit:

Also I must say this is a very big close-up of this image. So maybe I'm trying to find a better sharpness that just is not possible? But still, I would see some difference, wouldn't I?
    The best setting is different for each of my two 4x5 holders. One was in the center. The other was in between the center and the lowests setting. MAke sure all four sliders are in the saem position for each scan.

I did a full scan of the same chrome shot without sharpening on each of the five heights for each holder. Then I marked the best position on each holder with a marker which had the best focus since the sliders can move out of position.

Double check that the focus is not checked. For some reason Epsonscan always seems to check that box automatically before the scan. Save the scans as tiffs not jpegs. I use 2400 bit scan at 48 bit color.

You only need to do the test once. So it's worth taking the time.

The best setting is different for each of my two 4x5 holders. One was in the center. The other was in between the center and the lowests setting. MAke sure all four sliders are in the saem position for each scan.

I did a full scan of the same chrome shot without sharpening on each of the five heights for each holder. Then I marked the best position on each holder with a marker which had the best focus since the sliders can move out of position.

Double check that the focus is not checked. For some reason Epsonscan always seems to check that box automatically before the scan. Save the scans as tiffs not jpegs. I use 2400 bit scan at 48 bit color.

You only need to do the test once. So it's worth taking the time.

I don't understand about the focus you mention? Are you talking about an autofocus? Because I believe V800 had not such a thing? As mentioned by others. Not by own experience.

I did a scan on the 3 (not5) markers. Could the difference be so marginal that one of the remaining markers makes the difference?

Thank you for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by neildw View Post
    I don't understand about the focus you mention? Are you talking about an autofocus? Because I believe V800 had not such a thing? As mentioned by others. Not by own experience.

I did a scan on the 3 (not5) markers. Could the difference be so marginal that one of the remaining markers makes the difference?

Thank you for responding.
    I'm sorry. I meant the Unsharp Mask check box, not Focus checkbox in Epsonscan.

It should have said :
    Double verify that the Unsharp Mask is not checked. For some reason Epsonscan always seems to check that box automatically before the scan. Save the scans as tiffs not jpegs. I use 2400 bit scan at 48 bit color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails epson.jpg  

I'm sorry. I meant the Unsharp Mask check box, not Focus checkbox in Epsonscan.

It should have said :
    Double verify that the Unsharp Mask is not checked. For some reason Epsonscan always seems to check that box automatically before the scan. Save the scans as tiffs not jpegs. I use 2400 bit scan at 48 bit color.
    Little thing is that I do not use Epson Scan but have bought Silver Fast from the beginnen. :-)