Thread: Durst TRA 450 Alternatives

Durst TRA 450 Alternatives

Hello,

today my TRA 450 power supply which hasn't been used since a while decided to blow up after few seconds. I will take it to a traditional TV repair shop and hope it can be fixed, but I wonder if anyone has working alternatives, like more modern power supplies that got adopted to the proprietary Durst connector (for the CLS 450 color head).

As far as I know, the Durst power supply does not simply turn on and off the power like simple power supplies but ensures that voltage (or the like?) is constant, etc. Also there seem to be different power circuits for lamp and rest?

That being said, if anyone had a working solution, I'd appreciate any help. If anyone in continental Europe (or, in regions with reasonable shipping options) had a TRA 450 for sale so that at least I have a spare, then I'd be interested as well.

Cheers
    Sven

Re: Durst TRA 450 Alternatives

I believe there is a suppression capacitor that blows on these. This picture is not mine, but from a friend. I helped him replace the suppression device via email. If I can find the email thread, we identified a suitable replacement suppression device.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	208513

I use an off-the shelf 24V power supply on my Durst: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...urst-1200-DIY)

Quote Originally Posted by fj55mike View Post
    I use an off-the shelf 24V power supply on my Durst: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...urst-1200-DIY)
    Thank you! How did you figure out which pin(s) to connect? My CLS 450 has a custom connector and I assume that two pins are used for the actual light, others for the ventilation, others for the lights for the controls (there is a small switch on my head that can be used to turn them on and off, hence I assume that those pins have constant power).

With some work you could reproduce the EST450 non-regulated AC supply with an appropriate sized 24V 250VA AC transformer. The schematic shows the connections here. There is a relay built in to the EST450, so you can use any timer without damage to the timer. You could leave that part out if you have a heavy-duty timer that has a relay already built in to the timer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 7.37.03 AM.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	208868