Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Excited and Stoked, 4x5 Black Edition Intrepid

  1. #1

    Excited and Stoked, 4x5 Black Edition Intrepid

    This post isn't meant to brag only to rant about being excited about my first view camera, I'm excited. After just over 5 and a half weeks I got a notification today from DHL that I should receive my package stateside in about a week. So far I have already the Fujinon 75mm with recessed lensboard, the 150mm Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital (red ring) and a 300mm Schneider-Krieuznach Symmar-S which might be too large for the little Intrepid, I'll wait and see. Also have 5 used film holders, cable release, 10 sheets of Velvia 100, and 10 sheets of Ektar 100 with a changing bag of course.

    In the order I have bought the following:

    PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
    QTY
    PRICE
    Black Edition Intrepid 4x5
    1 £291.67
    Intrepid 4x5 Lens Board
    1 £12.50
    Intrepid 4x5 Lens Board
    1 £12.50
    Intrepid 4x5 Lens Board
    1 £12.50
    TOYO 4x5 Film Holder
    2 £175.00
    4x5 / 5x7 Dark Cloth
    1 £48.33

    Hopefully I'm set to learn 4x5 photography. I noticed that Alex Burke is drum scanning 4x5's for $60 each with a file size of 1.7tbs just in case I get lucky with a keeper. https://www.alexburkephoto.com/drum-scanning
    Can't wait!
    Last edited by shutterbug guy; 8-Oct-2020 at 18:11.

  2. #2
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,002

    Re: Excited and Stoked, 4x5 Black Edition Intrepid

    All good!
    wear mask or NOT

    is ???

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    320

    Re: Excited and Stoked, 4x5 Black Edition Intrepid

    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug guy View Post
    This post isn't meant to brag only to rant about being excited about my first view camera, I'm excited. After just over 5 and a half weeks I got a notification today from DHL that I should receive my package stateside in about a week. So far I have already the Fujinon 75mm with recessed lensboard, the 150mm Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital (red ring) and a 300mm Schneider-Krieuznach Symmar-S which might be too large for the little Intrepid, I'll wait and see. Also have 5 used film holders, cable release, 10 sheets of Velvia 100, and 10 sheets of Ektar 100 with a changing bag of course.

    In the order I have bought the following:

    PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
    QTY
    PRICE
    Black Edition Intrepid 4x5
    1£291.67
    Intrepid 4x5 Lens Board
    1£12.50
    Intrepid 4x5 Lens Board
    1£12.50
    Intrepid 4x5 Lens Board
    1£12.50
    TOYO 4x5 Film Holder
    2£175.00
    4x5 / 5x7 Dark Cloth
    1£48.33

    Hopefully I'm set to learn 4x5 photography. I noticed that Alex Burke is drum scanning 4x5's for $60 each with a file size of 1.7tb's just in case I get lucky with a keeper. https://www.alexburkephoto.com/drum-scanning
    Can't wait!
    I love your excitement, reminds me of when I started ... ! Itís great!

    Just one comment, you may not want to start using your expensive velvia sheets. Youíre bound to make some mistakes until you get the gist of it (we all have) and it sucks to throw $5 color sheets (plus developing). Iíd start with some cheap b&w until you feel good. You may even want to develop those at home! Itís really super easy.

    Your 300 mm will work fine... if you have a stable tripod and not much wind.

    Post some when you get some shots!


    Good luck and go out and shoot.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,469

    Re: Excited and Stoked, 4x5 Black Edition Intrepid

    Congratulations, but that Apo Sironar Digital is not a film lens and you will barely cover 45 film with it.

  5. #5

    Re: Excited and Stoked, 4x5 Black Edition Intrepid

    Thanks for the encouragement Tin Can.

  6. #6

    Re: Excited and Stoked, 4x5 Black Edition Intrepid

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    I love your excitement, reminds me of when I started ... ! It’s great!

    Just one comment, you may not want to start using your expensive velvia sheets. You’re bound to make some mistakes until you get the gist of it (we all have) and it sucks to throw $5 color sheets (plus developing). I’d start with some cheap b&w until you feel good. You may even want to develop those at home! It’s really super easy.

    Your 300 mm will work fine... if you have a stable tripod and not much wind.

    Post some when you get some shots!


    Good luck and go out and shoot.
    If I get lucky I will certainly post a keeper or two hopefully.

    I've considered B&W, perhaps I need to reconsider and yes I cut my teeth in grade school developing Brownie 120 film in the downstairs bathroom progressing to the yearbook and newspaper high school staff with their own darkroom. So I've had a little experience, lol, just not recently. Heck, I used to color process using the C-41 chemistry and with print drums on a motorized agitator, those were the days. All in 120 and mostly 35mm B&W bulk film rolls. I've always dreamed of owning and using a view camera and now I have a chance. I'll probably stumble and make huge errors, but hey, life is short.

  7. #7

    Re: Excited and Stoked, 4x5 Black Edition Intrepid

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Congratulations, but that Apo Sironar Digital is not a film lens and you will barely cover 45 film with it.
    You have peeved my curiosity. Why is it not a film lens and will it affect image quality? I was previously thinking that this lens might be the highest quality lens I have, am I wrong? Thanks

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,469

    Re: Excited and Stoked, 4x5 Black Edition Intrepid

    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug guy View Post
    You have peeved my curiosity. Why is it not a film lens and will it affect image quality? I was previously thinking that this lens might be the highest quality lens I have, am I wrong? Thanks
    Your not wrong but it is corrected for medium format digital imaging. Optimal aperture is f8 rather then f22 as the film versions were. It also covers a much smaller image circle.

  9. #9

    Re: Excited and Stoked, 4x5 Black Edition Intrepid

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Your not wrong but it is corrected for medium format digital imaging. Optimal aperture is f8 rather then f22 as the film versions were. It also covers a much smaller image circle.
    That is good to know, all info I previously lacked, so thanks! So good to know that limited tilt/shift and f8 are the limitations, appreciate the kind and informative responses.

  10. #10

    Re: Excited and Stoked, 4x5 Black Edition Intrepid

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    I love your excitement, reminds me of when I started ... ! It’s great!

    Just one comment, you may not want to start using your expensive velvia sheets. You’re bound to make some mistakes until you get the gist of it (we all have) and it sucks to throw $5 color sheets (plus developing). I’d start with some cheap b&w until you feel good. You may even want to develop those at home! It’s really super easy.

    Your 300 mm will work fine... if you have a stable tripod and not much wind.

    Post some when you get some shots!


    Good luck and go out and shoot.
    With the risk of over replying, here's a couple of shots taken with my Hasselblad X1DII that I'm considering for a reshoot with the 4x5.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chimney-Rock-Helicon-Pyramid-49mp.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	208419

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Job_0858.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	208420

    Not real sure if these are worthy, but hey all that matters is that I enjoy them.

Similar Threads

  1. New Intrepid "Black" Edition 4x5 Camera - No Plywood! Also...
    By Corran in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 15-Jun-2020, 11:38
  2. New here and Stoked!
    By Lee Christopher in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 9-May-2009, 15:04
  3. Linhof Master Technika `Black Edition'
    By Stefan.Dalibor in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2001, 11:13
  4. MASTER TECHNICA BLACK EDITION
    By NICK_432 in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Mar-1999, 16:13

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •