Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linhof Dekel Shutter History

Linhof Dekel Shutter History

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1987 Linhof 100 JAHRE 1887-1987 Book_German + English Langauge-8.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	208398

Trying to understand the history of the F Dekel COMPUR shutters...

Perhaps the cameras are not with period correct shutters but it seems to show Compur's of the the Dial Set type (1934), then a Rim Set type (1936) and again the Dial Set (1946) followed by the Linhof branded Rim Set type (1957).

So was the rim set sold at the same time as the Dial set as this image would indicate?

Between here and there

Re: Linhof Dekel Shutter History

Dekel? Isn't that good ol' Friedrich Deckel?

For the 1946 version - could it be that there wasn't much left of the factory, leaving only spare parts to make shutters out of?

I think it is likely that there were different versions of the Compur shutter being sold at the same time.
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Before the cameras Valetin LInhof made shutters that were see by companies like Zeiss, Kodak, Voigtlander, etc.
    When LInhof began to make cameras they sold their shutter business to a neighboring company, Freidriech Deckel. Today on Rupert Meyer Strasse in Munich off the middle ring road LInhof and Deckel are neighbors.
    The LInhof shutter eventually evolved into the Compur shutter and Deckel owned Prontor Werke who made all of the Compur and Prontor shutters.
    Rim set Compur shutters labeled LInhof are Compur made by Prontor Werke through their owner Deckel.

In his publication on Voigtländer large format lenses here: https://www.arnecroell.com/voigtlaender.pdf, Arne Cröll gives examples of the dial-set Compur being used for post-WW II lenses. He comments on page 3 that some of the Voightländer lenses required a Compur number 2 size shutter and that the rim-set version in this size wasn't introduced by Deckel until 1953. This makes me think that Deckel continued to make some dial-set Compurs after WW II. Further in this paper Arne comments that the 115 mm Ultragon, introduced in 1950, is mostly seen in the dial-set Compur 2 but a few rim-set versions existed.

The SK Grimes website seems to generically apply number 2 as the size for dial-set Compurs, but see here: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...+Jena+15cm+3.5 Scrolling through this thread you'll find Ian's evidence that it's a bit more complicated.

And as Jimi suggests, for the 1946 example of the Linhof, who knows what lens was available used, much less new, to use in the illustration.

David

Great info thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    When LInhof began to make cameras they sold their shutter business to a neighboring company, Freidriech Deckel.
    AFAIK Linhof didn't make any shutters and didn't sell their shutter business to F. Deckel. The Compur is an advanced model of the Compound, also made / invented by F. Deckel.

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    AFAIK Linhof didn't make any shutters and didn't sell their shutter business to F. Deckel. The Compur is an advanced model of the Compound, also made / invented by F. Deckel.
    Shutters was LInhof first product. Then they made cameras.

My former repairman was born and reared in Deckel(sp?) Germany. He was trained in the camera factory there and loved those Deckel Compur shutters so much he would repair mine free. Sadly he passed about 25 years ago, but I still have and use several shutters which he brought back to life for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Shutters was LInhof first product. Then they made cameras.
    From what I found is that indeed Linhof was first into making shutters (which one?), but I can't seem to connect his name to that of F.Deckel or to Zeiss. This is what I found:

"At the end of 1898, Deckel went into business for himself with a mechanic's workshop and in 1903 founded the company "Bruns & Deckel" in Munich together with the inventor Christian Bruns. Bruns developed the Compound leaf-shutter, which the company successfully manufactured and marketed from 1904. Bruns left the company as early as 1905, but continued to develop shutters for cameras. Friedrich Deckel thus became the sole owner of the company now named as "Friedrich Deckel GmbH".

The companies Carl Zeiss, Bausch & Lomb and Deckel's most important competitor Alfred Gauthier became co-partners in 1910. In 1911, Carl Zeiss acquired the patents for the new Compur shutter from Christian Bruns and let Deckel produce it under license. The Compur shutter had a newly developed gear escapement for slow speeds and with this innovation it became the companies most important product for decades to come. In 1961 the venture was even renamed Compur-Werk GmbH & Co.."

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    From what I found is that indeed Linhof was first into making shutters (which one?), but I can't seem to connect his name to that of F.Deckel or to Zeiss. This is what I found:

"At the end of 1898, Deckel went into business for himself with a mechanic's workshop and in 1903 founded the company "Bruns & Deckel" in Munich together with the inventor Christian Bruns. Bruns developed the Compound leaf-shutter, which the company successfully manufactured and marketed from 1904. Bruns left the company as early as 1905, but continued to develop shutters for cameras. Friedrich Deckel thus became the sole owner of the company now named as "Friedrich Deckel GmbH".

The companies Carl Zeiss, Bausch & Lomb and Deckel's most important competitor Alfred Gauthier became co-partners in 1910. In 1911, Carl Zeiss acquired the patents for the new Compur shutter from Christian Bruns and let Deckel produce it under license. The Compur shutter had a newly developed gear escapement for slow speeds and with this innovation it became the companies most important product for decades to come. In 1961 the venture was even renamed Compur-Werk GmbH & Co.."
    Thank you for this. Is this from Hartmut Thiele's Friedrich Deckel und der Compur-Verschluss? I have a copy but unfortunately for me as as a mono-lingual American it is, of course, in German.

David