Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Dekel Shutter History

Re: Linhof Dekel Shutter History

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    Bob did you ever meet with Mr. Bauernschmidt? There is amazingly little said about him.
    Many times, both at the factory and at our Photokina meetings. He is an entrepreneur and owns several different businesses.

Here is a Zeiss 1899 catalog witch is advertising Linhof shutters... starting on pg.89...
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mxb...ew?usp=sharing

this article: https://randcollins.wordpress.com/2010/08/01/shutters/
    also speaks of Linhof and Dekel but does not directly connect them.

"Linhof, manufacturer of the famed Linhof technical cameras, actually launched his career as a shutter manufacturer, with his first models of 1887 using a leather brake to control slow speeds. In fact, a leather brake was in use as late as 1902 in Steinheil’s “Universal Automatic Shutter Model C”, designed by Christian Bruns.

C. A. Steinheil, a major manufacturer of astronomical and optical equipment as well as photographic lenses and shutters. Both Friedrich Deckel and Christian Bruns were employed by Steinheil. Deckel left to found his own establishment in 1898, and was joined by Bruns in 1903; the resulting company was eventually named F. Deckel. Their cooperation produced in 1905 the famous Compound pneumatic shutter. This was the longest-lived of the pneumatic shutters, being

In designing the Compur shutter, Deckel apparently took the Compound shutter and replaced the pneumatic cylinder with Klein and Brueck’s clockwork slow speed escapement, thus simplifying and expediting the new design. The name “Compur” reflects this genesis from the Compound shutter, being a fusion of “Compound” and “Uhrwerk”, the German word for “clockwork” (see Reiss). Consequently, the Compur is actually a “Clockwork Compound” shutter.

It should be noted that the actual relationship between Deckel, Bruns and the development of the Compur shutter is somewhat murky; Bruns stayed with Deckel for only a short time, but continued to work on shutter design after severing his legal relationship with him. The majority of the design work was done not by Deckel, but by Bruns. Carl Zeiss owned a portion of F. Deckel and may have obtained the Compur patent from Bruns in order to share it with Deckel. Zeiss also quietly owned stock in the German Gauthier shutter factory and in Bausch and Lomb, and may have facilitated use of this design by both companies (see Reiss). Zeiss was in turn obligated to use Compur shutters in the majority of their cameras."

Here is a Zeiss 1899 catalog witch is advertising Linhof shutters... starting on pg.89...
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mxb...ew?usp=sharing
    Many thanks for this info; guess you meant to direct to pages 83 and 84.

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    Many thanks for this info; guess you meant to direct to pages 83 and 84.
    Yes I must have confused the page numbers there are several similar books/pages in the collection... Everything is Linhof oriented but more about the cameras a little about the shutters at first. Organized by date mostly post war info... https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...jo?usp=sharing

Yes I must have confused the page numbers there are several similar books/pages in the collection... Everything is Linhof oriented but more about the cameras a little about the shutters at first. Organized by date mostly post war info... https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...jo?usp=sharing
    However they spelled my name wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    However they spelled my name wrong!
    Yep... Sorry I wish I would have caught that... fixed now. I had just copied it from the following site, which has also recently fixed the error (in the document though not in the hyperlink : http://www.lensbusters.com/2019/04/l...omon-says.html

Another source of antidotal info of the link between Linhof and Dekel is from the "Focal Encyclopedia of Photography" which was first printed in 1960. Unfortunately no reference source is given for the information they list...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1960 Focal Encyclopedia of Photograph connects Linhof and Deckel Shutters.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	219533 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linhof and Deckel Shutters lg.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	219536
    Last edited by Embdude; 10-Sep-2021 at 16:48.

Did you try to set out a question at the German LF forum? Very knowledgable members there especially if it concerns German made items....

Here's the link for if you don't know the forum yet:
    https://forum.grossformatfotografie.de/forum/
    Last edited by Ron (Netherlands); 11-Sep-2021 at 04:27.

My Flickr

Thanks Ron but I don't Spreken German... Looks like a nice site though. I will see what I get away with using Google translate...