Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice for Handheld 4x5 and Flash Please..

Re: Advice for Handheld 4x5 and Flash Please..

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn45 View Post
    saw Louis Mendes on the Boardwalk in Coney Island about a month ago....
    Thanks for the news. He's a good guy.

I had the handle from a graflite and bolted a cold shoe onto an aluminum cap. This gives me a removeable shoe to mount any electronic flash or a fanfold bulb flash. For extra power I attach a Metz via the tripod socket and use a Nikon SB800 in optical slave mode in the shoe. I hold the rig from the leather strap and edge of the left camera body. I would not trust the Metz handle or the Graflite to bear the weight of the body.

Crown Graphic tarted up by Howard Sandler, on Flickr

Thats the Metz unit I was thinking about (think I mentioned the wrong model number) with the little fill light on the front. Bounced it can take remarkable un flash-like nicely illuminated photos.

Howard, how does the SB 800 compare to the Potato Masher in real life?

Quote Originally Posted by hsandler View Post
    I had the handle from a graflite and bolted a cold shoe onto an aluminum cap. This gives me a removeable shoe to mount any electronic flash or a fanfold bulb flash. For extra power I attach a Metz via the tripod socket and use a Nikon SB800 in optical slave mode in the shoe. I hold the rig from the leather strap and edge of the left camera body. I would not trust the Metz handle or the Graflite to bear the weight of the body.

Crown Graphic tarted up by Howard Sandler, on Flickr
    Tin Can

The SB-800 is pretty good for a digital-age shoe mount flash. It’s a little less, maybe a half stop, than a Vivitar 285. The Metz 45CT-5 is maybe a half stop to one stop more powerful than a Vivitar 285. But I really have not done a proper comparison. None of these are as bright as a Sylvania 25 bulb.

I think the Vivitar 285, which is also quite good, has the variable power feature built into the adjuster for the flash ranges on auto exposure.

Good to know!

I informally compared SB 800, PC Buff Einstein and Sylvania 25 bulb with similar results to yours some years ago

I won't be looking for a Metz

but they are impressive totems

Quote Originally Posted by hsandler View Post
    The SB-800 is pretty good for a digital-age shoe mount flash. It’s a little less, maybe a half stop, than a Vivitar 285. The Metz 45CT-5 is maybe a half stop to one stop more powerful than a Vivitar 285. But I really have not done a proper comparison. None of these are as bright as a Sylvania 25 bulb.
    Tin Can

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I use the 285 in my rig (sideways picture earlier in thread). Only problem I have with that configuration is coverage. Flash is so high that parallax must be considered. Less of an issue when 284 set on “wide” but that sacrifices some light.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Few use flashbulbs here

This is my 1951 Speed with a 1951 conversion to use the Aero. I got it from the son of the original buyer

I need 2 big handles to shoot this monster handheld, notice the flash bulb is covered with NOS flip up flash bulb safety shield

However I do have trouble with the rear curtain sync, which is a metal strip on the curtain, but do use flashbulbs and normal lenses with working sync in the lens shutter

I have made a laser FocuSpot for a smaller Speed, but don't use that on people

IMG-2524 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Nice little monster! Do you have troubles getting it focused via rangefinder?

Yes, however I will try again to set RF

I have changed the lens mount to Jo Lo lens board which moves the lens back into the front standard, thus getting the RF lever in better position

I do wish Jo had made his very nice filter hood from plastic...

As I use flashbulbs the batteries do add weight, the left handle has no batteries, yet I do have another set of flectors and safety shields

Fortunately this camera had little usage and the rear curtain shutter works great, but I don't constantly test my luck by using very high shutter speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Bolshoi View Post
    Nice little monster! Do you have troubles getting it focused via rangefinder?
    Tin Can