Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice for Handheld 4x5 and Flash Please..

Re: Advice for Handheld 4x5 and Flash Please..

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    The Metz CT series was quite good. The CT-60 had a forward facing fill light and a huge flash head. When the head was bounced and the fill flash used it could produce remarkably evenly illuminated exposures that looked very natural. It has been a long time since I had one, I think the CT-60 required a big rechargeable battery on your shoulder, the CT-4 (or something like that) could have batteries in its handle. But no fill light on the lesser model.
    I have a 45 CL-3, which fits batteries in the handle. The big challenge in using it with one of my Graphics is that the bracket relies on the tripod socket for mounting and is very prone to loosening in use. It desperately needs some kind of anti-twist provision. I don't use flash that much, so I haven't yet gotten around to researching this further. But I'd be interested in any solutions people have come up with, especially if they don't require drilling into the camera body.

Roger William Barr

I used to have the same loosening problem with my old meridian and a tripod socket mounted bracket.. I wound up finding a thin piece of rubber.. and making a washer to go between the camera and bracket.. It worked a charm.. Been looking on the auction site.. wow lots of older flash units.. And pretty cheap too.. I guess light has not changed much.. just more computational crap.. I think money is better spent on a good flash meter..

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn45 View Post
    I think money is better spent on a good flash meter..
    FWIW, years ago when I was setting up I asked my Minolta Flash Meter (the original one) about my Vivitar 283s. Both are one stop under spec at full power, on spec from half power down on the VP-1. Also, the narrow beam flash modifiers (holder + fresnel) don't increase the GN. Bummer.

I could have learned as much with one roll of KM. No longer.

I've got plenty of 283s, but when I need more power, I go for my Norman 200b's which are 200ws strobes. Double the power of the 283 but require a fairly heavy shoulder pack. Recycle in two seconds and new batteries are available cheaply.

Good to have both.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Roger William Barr

Recycle time is not much of an issue with LF.. More into trying something that has a good power adjustment. Probably wind up with a Metz or Sunpack.. that takes care of grip and flash,, BTW I just started posting to this forum again, but can not figure out how to get email alerts when someone adds to a thread... Have set up to receive instant email in my profile but nuthin honey... any one know??

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn45 View Post
    Recycle time is not much of an issue with LF.. More into trying something that has a good power adjustment. Probably wind up with a Metz or Sunpack.. that takes care of grip and flash,, BTW I just started posting to this forum again, but can not figure out how to get email alerts when someone adds to a thread... Have set up to receive instant email in my profile but nuthin honey... any one know??
    In your original post you asked about vintage but didn't foreclose modern. If modern is an option, I use Godox (Flashpoint) AD200 which is a 200WS flash that has extended head accessory available. You can carry the main body (electronics & battery) easily in a belt holster, and mount the very lightweight flash head on Graflite tube or a Vivitar grip, either with cold shoe. And, if you want, throw the whole flash unit on a stand or monopod for off camera flash and put the lightweight trigger on the cold shoe. Flash stays put while you roam. Still very lightweight.

Lots of power. Super reliable. Very low additional weight on camera setup.

There is even a folding beauty dish modifier you could attach to flash head. The unit comes with Fresnel head and bare bulb as standard equipment. Round head now also available. Ease of gel-ing, etc.

But not vintage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Chris Killip had a show at the Getty a few years ago and I can't remember if one of the vitrines had his flash set up, or there was a picture of it somewhere, of if I was just trying to figure out what he used, but I remember thinking about handheld 4x5 flash then. Maybe somebody on here knows what gear he had? I do recall reading that he had assisted a well known London fashion photographer and had had transferred some of that lighting knowledge onto his own personal work

to back up Exploring Large Format, I also have a flashpoint zoom Li-ion mini,(godox) and after years of fiddling with four batteries on a Vivitar Thyristor 285, I'd never go back from the lithium rechargable battery. Never used it on large format though.

Roger William Barr

saw Louis Mendes on the Boardwalk in Coney Island about a month ago....

Roger William Barr

yep know about the Godox but too much money.. Probably just look for a used Metz or Sunpak