Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It happened to me! What Disasters or Near-misses have you had while Shooting?

Re: It happened to me! What Disasters or Near-misses have you had while Shooting?

Re: It happened to me! What Disasters or Near-misses have you had while Shooting?

Learned a bit about dog sensory systems while shooting when a jogger and dog were rounding a bend where I was shooting, where the jogger cut in tight to avoid tripod, but dog ran straight into the leg of my Tiltall... Rig went over about 45°, but I caught it... Jogger looked horrified, but I smiled... I guess some dogs have a blind spot between their eyes...

Was nervous when a very full coated golden retriver (who seeming loved to dive into muddy water), dove into several pools along another trail, saw me and came running up to me at full bore looking like he wanted to play with me... But he was saturated with mud and wetness, and only a matter of time he would shake himself off... Luckily, owner called him back before reaching me...

Steve K

A truly talented community: Seems that nobody here has fallen off the North Rim of The Grand Canyon while tking a selfie with a cell phone.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

“Ker-clunk . . ker-klunk . . . . . . ker-klunk . . . . . . . . . . . . . ker-klunk . .

the fading sounds becoming more and more distant in time.“

I heard that! Early in my career I was researching underground mining and photographing worksites as documentation. While about 3800 feet below surface in the Homestake gold mine of Lead South Dakota... was climbing a long ladder in a narrow vertical raise (shaft-like tunnel) and my 35mm gear snagged on something and the flash made that noise as it plummeted into the deep abyss. It’s final flash was both dramatic and quite sad.

(Shrek)

I've fallen through ice twice while photographing, both times in swamps fortunately with no current to speak of. 1st time in the 90s with a Canon & 500mm lens, 2nd time 7 or 8 years ago with my 8x10 rig. 1st time went in over my head, complete with camera and lens. 2nd time up to my waist, camera kit stayed on the ice. 1st time required a hike and a boat ride to get somewhere warm, 2nd time a 45m walk around the swamp to get back to my car. I consider myself lucky to have made it out of both intact, I don't care about the gear. I don't walk on creaky ice anymore.

Scariest moment was still being stopped by military police in the lower 9th ward of New Orleans, a couple of years after hurricane Katrina. Those guys don't mess around. In the end they called me a dumbass and told me to go back to Canada, but it was a tense 20 minutes with my hands on the hood of their car.

One night in the '80s, I was photographing a photo column illustration in my kitchen with a portable strobe on a small light stand and my Nikon FM2n, on a tripod, attached via a 10' straight PC cord. At some distracted point, I moved the light, pulling the cord more than taught, and turned around to watch my camera and tripod fall to the floor. The lens was OK, but the shutter curtains were disconnected. Problem: I was leaving for Europe in two days, partly on photo assignment.

First thing the next morning, I took my broken friend to the local camera store, where the owner picked up the phone, explained my dilemma to a certain repairman he knew an hour-and-half away, and then told me I could take it there. Off I went to Mora Camera Service, expecting to pay for a new shutter and emergency charges, maybe $200 -- the cost of the camera. On my arrival, the owner, George M, Sr., took a look and disappeared into a back room. He reappeared within 15 minutes and said it was fixed. I was overjoyed and expressed my fervent thanks. "Wait till you see the bill," he said. I knew it was coming and had already prepared myself. He made out the invoice an handed it to me. I believe it was $30.

Thanking him again, I made a beeline for a nearby wine shop I had passed, bought a bottle of good Bordeaux, and returned to give it to him. You can guess where I took all my camera repairs after that.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    “Ker-clunk . . ker-klunk . . . . . . ker-klunk . . . . . . . . . . . . . ker-klunk . .

the fading sounds becoming more and more distant in time.“

....and the flash made that noise as it plummeted into the deep abyss. It’s final flash was both dramatic and quite sad.
    High-class narrative. I could imagine the scene in detail!

Not while shooting, just living. Lived in the NW corner first floor of the Richelieu Apartments in Gulfport in 1969. We moved back to TN a few weeks before Camille. We moved so that I could start school.

before:

After:
    Last edited by jmdavis; 8-Oct-2020 at 10:34.

A friend of mine told me a story of over-packing and attempting to physically carry a lot of gear down into a valley in the3 Big Bend park in Texas. Just prior to descending on a multi mile hike, he had set up his newly acquired 8x10 Deardorff. He said he had framed a dramatic composition that was so awesome (to him) on the GG that it captured his attention so hard that he just stood there while a gust of wind blew the rig backward hard enough to fracture the glass panel on his forehead.

Wait-w3ait . . .THATS not the story! So he didn't bring the 8x10 rig down the trail but did bring along all tyhis ot6her stuff; a massive DSLR outfit and video gear etc. Did some good imaging and started back. The hike back was a much longer and slower trip with many stops to rest. He said he thought he was going to have a stroke or heart attack.

So breaking the 'Dorff saved his life!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

OK, I have two- one that is a little more funny than the other-
    In New Hampshire after crawling up rocks to get a water fall pic about 15 years ago, turned to figure my way back down and watched in slow motion as my Arca Swiss and 75mm lens (left unattended for a second) teetered and dropped about 8-10 feet onto the somewhat rocky beach below. Camera landed on the backside, effectively demolishing the ground glass on day 1 of a 10 day trip. Lens was OK and camera got some wicked scars but the trip photography was kind of shot after that.

More recently, after about 5-6 beers, decided to try and cross a small stream to photograph an interesting tree on the other side by using a log that spanned the water. Didn't make it 1/2 way. Flopped off the log and landed on my back in the 6" deep water (kept the camera dry, but not me or my ego). My dog was sitting on the bank watching the whole thing and I'm positive she was thinking ...this idiot is the one in charge?