Thread: Rodenstock Imagon without shutter

Rodenstock Imagon without shutter

Hi!
    I’m new to LF and still learning the ropes. I have a lovely Sinar Norma with 4x5 and 5x7 backs and Fujinon 210/5.6 on a Copal-1 shutter.
    I just bought (a whim, I know) a Rodenstock Imagon 200/5.6 lens on a Sinar Norma board, but I’m lacking a shutter.
    My Norma came with also an auto shutter that will need service for sure, but I was wondering, whether I could fit the Imagon on that? Maybe you can advice me?

Re: Rodenstock Imagon without shutter

Quote Originally Posted by Norma View Post
    Hi!
    I’m new to LF and still learning the ropes. I have a lovely Sinar Norma with 4x5 and 5x7 backs and Fujinon 210/5.6 on a Copal-1 shutter.
    I just bought (a whim, I know) a Rodenstock Imagon 200/5.6 lens on a Sinar Norma board, but I’m lacking a shutter.
    My Norma came with also an auto shutter that will need service for sure, but I was wondering, whether I could fit the Imagon on that? Maybe you can advice me?
    I have the 200mm Imagon in barrel and it will go on a regular Norma flat board. It works just great with the green Norma shutter.

A good snag!
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

+1. Use a Sinar shutter.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hopefully you got the three Hstop Imagon discs, the Imagon lenscap, the green or grey ND filter, the Imagon lenshood, the original box, and the original instructions

― Mark Twain

Dear all, thank you for your kind commnents. I do have the Sinar shutter and two, not three disks and rest of the goodies, but the instruction leaflet is more of an advertisment, so no help there ��
    I searched on the web and came across this video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G2rIl4WQNrY
    Is this how it’s supposed to be set up?
    I appreciate any advice you might have!

That is called front of lens mount and seldom used on a Norma camera

THe Norma shutter fits right in where the lensboard goes and then mount the lens board to it

Norma shutter can also fit where the front bellows does, then attach bellows to the shutter

Very adjustable system

Really big and heavy lenses may take special efforts
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Norma View Post
    Is this how it’s supposed to be set up?
    It is easy to set up the 4x5 Norma to take the 200mm Imagon. This is how to do it with small barrel lenses.

1) Attach the Imagon to the front part of the Norma front standard as you would any lens. There is a latch which clips and unclips the lens boards
    2) Unclip the front part of the bellows and clip on the Norma shutter to the rear part of the Norma front standard.
    3) Reattach the front part of the bellows to the back side of the Norma Shutter.
    4) Attach the Norma Shutter Release and you are good to go

Easier to do than to describe! Hope this helps Easy Peasy

― Mark Twain

restored 4x5 Sinar Norma 360 Imagon by Nokton48, on Flickr

Almost fully restored 4x5 Sinar Norma #1. New tapered bellows from Custom Bellows in the UK (they made the original bellows for Sinar Norma), Sinar Norma shutter freshly CLA'ed, flash cord replaced, and new light trapping applied. The Sinarsix meter is functioning 100% and is a Godsend for ambient light shooting. So far every exposure has been exactly on the nose as far as exposure, even with movements and filters. Exposure accuracy and shooting speed go way up with the Norma TTL Sinarsix

The 360mm H5.8 Rodenstock Imagon in barrel I bought from photo machinist Glenn Evans it came with the custom made Glennview lensboard, properly spaced neatly so the rear cell dosen't strike the front end of the Norma Shutter. The green Imagon filter and H5.8 disc are attached, The smaller Rodenstock Imagons do not need forward spaced to work with the shutter.

― Mark Twain