Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Disastrous Consequences (solved: fog with Intrepid lensboard)

Re: Disastrous Consequences (solved: fog with Intrepid lensboard)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    The camera is compatible with Sinar lens boards, which are very common. Critics have had their say. Why not leave it at that? If not, the end result will likely be another manufacturer who won't post here.
    I tend to agree that we're beating a dead horse and this thread should now be closed by the moderators.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Max Grew View Post
    I really do appreciate everyones opinions on this but FR4 is a great choice for our lens boards I will explain why,

Aluminium boards = Cutting (water jet or laser) + Deburring + Tumbling or Linishing + Anodising + Laser engraving our logo + high shipping cost when done at our scale = surprisingly high cost of lens board

Wood boards = it's very hard to find 2mm thick wood that can be easily held down and cut. making the 100s of boards we need each month would be impracticle

FR4 = board arrives all ready duburred, finished in black and with logo on it as this is all part of standard pre existing product manufacturing process (PCBs) they are excellent quality light weight and work just as well as any other material we have used.

We used to make boards out of aluminium using the method above, it was a pain. I wouldn't even bother trying to make them out of wood. Work holding 2mm wood is nightmare inducing. I know lots of people on here have all sorts of experience in a range of fields but as someone who has had to make literally tens of thousands of lens boards over the last 6 years the FR4 process is miles better than anything else we have tried, and we have tried all sorts! maybe its not your cup of tea but they make for great lens boards and the whole production process is so simple we would never look back.

if you are still not sure then we will have to just agree to disagree

- Max
    I completely agree with this and see no reason to avoid FR4 as being somehow risky or failure-prone. It's easy to throw words like that around until you're the one responsible for making a product to spec and to cost, and then suddenly words like 'deburring' and 'anodising' give you nightmares.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by md-photo View Post
    Translucent board?? How does something like that go into production without testing?
    sometimes stuff happens. not sure if you remember but a few years ago toyo had dark slides that were giving them problems.
    we're living in 1900 all over again, seems mistakes will be made as we all trek forward.

backwards to future

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    sometimes stuff happens. not sure if you remember but a few years ago toyo had dark slides that were giving them problems.
    we're living in 1900 all over again, seems mistakes will be made as we all trek forward.
    Tin Can

Re: Disasterous Consequences

Oh. My. God. THAT is inexcusable. For SHAME Intrepid "Camera" Co.
    Quote Originally Posted by brianentz View Post
    Unbelievably, the lens board appears to be the problem. It is a genuine Intrepid lensboard and it isn't lightproof. I put a flashlight up against the lensboard and it just shines through. Attachment 208383
    It sure looked light proof. I'm aghast. I will let Intrepid know about this.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Tracey -- the manufacturer explained this in an earlier post on this thread:

Hello, I believe Naomi has all ready spoken to you about this but I just wanted to personally apologise that you received a faulty lens board, they are supposed to have a rubberised light proof backing (similar material to our bellows) and the ones you received did not have the backing applied. I'm really sorry this wasn't spotted before they were sent out. We have been through all our current stock of lens boards and can confirm they are all light proof. We will have some replacement boards on the way to you tomorrow and more than happy to add in a box of film to make up for the lost sheets.
    Shit happens.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Intrepid Camera

Re: Disasterous Consequences

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    Oh. My. God. THAT is inexcusable. For SHAME Intrepid "Camera" Co.
    Hi Tracy, this was an isolated problem and dealt with many months ago, not really sure why its popping back up

Thanks, Max