Thread: Super Graphic Viewfinder

Super Graphic Viewfinder

I recently bought a very near mint Super Graphic 4x5. The camera has all the features I need for landscape photography and I will use it mostly with my Sinar Zoom roll film back which will allow me to take 6cxm x 12cm images. The only thing I don't like is the Graphic tunnel-vision viewfinder. I will want to fit a Linhof universal finder or the equally nice Horseman finder, The problem is that the Graphic has an oddball cold shoe. Do you know of the proper and safe modifications, if any that will accommodate either the Linhof or the Horseman viewfinders? Another possibility is to use the Fotoman (Chinese) VF that fits to the more conventional universal cold shoe.
    Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Small town, South Carolina, US

Re: Super Graphic Viewfinder

Suggestion: Investigate if this shoe is the one that uses Graflex viewfinders. If so you can put one of those on the camera and purchase front inserts for different focal length lenses. I have adapted one to my Busch Pressman D and use it for rough framing for 90 to 240 mm lenses. The 90 requires an special insert however.

The Linhof and Horseman finders are large and $$$.

I have the Graflex VF and that is the problem. I don't like the tunnel view. More modern finders like the ones I mentioned have a more open view. The Graflex VF that is on the camera will work. I just don't like it compared to the more modern optical finders.

Quote Originally Posted by lenspeeperjim View Post
    I have the Graflex VF and that is the problem. I don't like the tunnel view. More modern finders like the ones I mentioned have a more open view. The Graflex VF that is on the camera will work. I just don't like it compared to the more modern optical finders.
    LInhof Multifocus Finders have a long history and have changed considerably through the decades. The modern version, on the market for over 30 years, is what you are looking for. Unlike the earlier ones it does not have “tunnel vision.” It is a zoom finder from 72/75mm to 360mm with parallax correction as well as auto adjustment for field size. LInhof uses a longer accessory shoe but you can easily get one from any LInhof service center. It also rotates on the accessory shoe to eliminate interference when rotating the camera back from horizontal to vertical orientation. It accepts rotating masks for formats from 6x6 to 4x5. But many will be hard to find today. It has two rotating rings around the eyepiece. One for focal length and the other for distance. They are color coded to make setting them very fast.
    LInhof also made special versions of this finder. 1 for the AeroTechnika EL and the non EL version for lenses made for these cameras. Other versions were made for photogrammetric cameras from LInhof, Leitz and others. You do not want one of those!

I found a Linhof Multifocus optical finder for $95. It has a little paint chipped here and there but the optics and mechanical adjustments are first rate. I removed the Graphic "tunnel vision" finder and shoe. I installed a conventional cold shoe which I had the file a bit to fit the Linhof finder. I drilled and tapped 1/4-20 thread into the Super Graphic body where the original finder was. The Linhof finder fits and functions perfectly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lihof.jpg  

Small town, South Carolina, US

Sounds like you solved you problem. Good price on the finder.