Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 43

Thread: XTOL not mixing well and not working any more!

  1. #31

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Posts
    1,173

    Re: XTOL not mixing well and not working any more!

    Dry, cool, and sealed up. There's so much sulfite in XTOL that helps. This was the last great effort made in black and white chemistry by EKCo. It keeps very well. I've kept the original package, made by Kodak, pre bankruptcy for ten years without a problem. Again, Dry, cool, dark, in a zip lock bag.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Posts
    1,173

    Re: XTOL not mixing well and not working any more!

    The film is an Eastman Kodak product, Alaris has the right to sell, Alaris has the formulas etc. Still there's a crew of probably a couple hundred people on the planet, that work for Eastman Kodak that have the skills and experience to produce the films. Unfortunately Eastman Kodak couldn't keep the backing paper experts, the powder blenders etc.
    I won't give up on Kodak, but I sure will be buying Ilford and Foma products as well.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12

    Re: XTOL not mixing well and not working any more!

    I bought some XTOL here in Canada just a few days before this thread was posted. Mine came in plastic bags, and the best before date was Aug 2021. The package said it was made in Germany. I mixed it up using distilled water at room temperature, and didn't have any problems. Both parts dissolved nicely. I like the idea that it is more environmentally friendly, and isn't as great a health risk.

  4. #34
    Andrej Gregov
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    136

    Re: XTOL not mixing well and not working any more!

    I've been an XTOL user for years and it's never failed me in the past. Last year I saw a post that there were some batch issues with the new packaging:

    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-batch-of-Xtol

    I've only mixed a few batches with the new packaging since and don't yet have enough information to know if there are issues. Had some infrared rolls come out thin. But TRX and HP5 sheet film looked OK. So, the jury is still out for me. With regard to precipitate, I have not had that problem (any more than with the older packaging). It's great you run a quick test to see if a batch looks good. I'd say try to mix another batch and if that fails, throw in the towel and test some other developers that will give you your same development qualities. If you head in the pyro direction, I recommend mixing your own chemistry. There's been problems with pre-mixed varieties from folks like Formulary. Please report back on your findings! Good luck.

  5. #35

    Re: XTOL not mixing well and not working any more!

    Quote Originally Posted by agregov View Post
    I've been an XTOL user for years and it's never failed me in the past. Last year I saw a post that there were some batch issues with the new packaging:

    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-batch-of-Xtol

    I've only mixed a few batches with the new packaging since and don't yet have enough information to know if there are issues. Had some infrared rolls come out thin. But TRX and HP5 sheet film looked OK. So, the jury is still out for me. With regard to precipitate, I have not had that problem (any more than with the older packaging). It's great you run a quick test to see if a batch looks good. I'd say try to mix another batch and if that fails, throw in the towel and test some other developers that will give you your same development qualities. If you head in the pyro direction, I recommend mixing your own chemistry. There's been problems with pre-mixed varieties from folks like Formulary. Please report back on your findings! Good luck.
    As you say, one tries, then tries again, then gives up.
    I loved Xtol for decades. It is my no 1 dev. But since the packaging change, I have tried with 4 lots, different batches (i even bought from different countries to make sure) and the results always the same. Precipitate after trying to mix bag A and very very thin test negs.
    4 out of 4 is too much for me. I am gonna give up.
    By the way with the old packaging my Xtol mixed beautifully at 23 C and was clear as air for many months. It was so easy to prepare.
    PS. I have it from inside the company that literally in the last few days there have been a number of U turns on the chemistry policy. They changed manufacturer, than changed again, then went back to the first one.

  6. #36

    Re: XTOL not mixing well and not working any more!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Consider home brewed "Mytol" as a replacement. I have used it for 15 years and my testing showed it to be indistinguishable from 2005 Xtol.
    And where do you get Sodium Metaborate for your Mytol... Impossible to find in europe.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    SooooCal/LA USA
    Posts
    2,078

    Re: XTOL not mixing well and not working any more!

    Quote Originally Posted by almostpilot View Post
    And where do you get Sodium Metaborate for your Mytol... Impossible to find in europe.
    You can make a liquid substitute for it using (I think) borax + sodium hydroxide, but the dilutions are tricky...

    I have some Kodalk left, but will have to resort to the liquid "solution" in the future, as it's getting difficult to get, even here in the states...

    I have a bookmark on my computer somewhere where I found a page with directions on how to make it, but I don't need it yet...

    I think PF still sells it, but the last batch I got from Artcraft, he said he was almost out, and he can't source smaller large amounts, short of a pallet of it...

    Steve K

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Oregon now (formerly Austria)
    Posts
    2,652

    Re: XTOL not mixing well and not working any more!

    Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    ...

    I have some Kodalk left, but will have to resort to the liquid "solution" in the future, as it's getting difficult to get, even here in the states...

    I have a bookmark on my computer somewhere where I found a page with directions on how to make it, but I don't need it yet...

    I think PF still sells it, but the last batch I got from Artcraft, he said he was almost out, and he can't source smaller large amounts, short of a pallet of it...

    Steve K
    Don't know about Artcraft, but PF lists it still:

    http://stores.photoformulary.com/sodium-metaborate/

    Doremus

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Posts
    1,173

    Re: XTOL not mixing well and not working any more!

    Maybe I could smuggle Kodalk I've got some beautiful old bottles. I have some Kodak produced glycin that was sold in the 1940s by EKCo under the trade name Athenol, still a free flowing powder, tan in color, still works. I bought some Glycin from Eastman Chemical division in the 1980s it's long gone turned brown black no good. The era of when Kodak made everything in house, packaged in cans and brown glass. Those were the good old days.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    2

    Re: XTOL not mixing well and not working any more!

    Quote Originally Posted by almostpilot View Post
    And where do you get Sodium Metaborate for your Mytol... Impossible to find in europe.
    Well, impossible might not be the right word. I get sodium metaborate from Fototechnik Suvatlar in Germany. You can see a list of products from them on Wolfgang Moerschs site https://www.moersch-photochemie.de/content/rohchemie

    Afaik they do not have an online shop, but a phone call or an email will do. They are pretty responsive and willing to help. I do not know if they ship raw chemicals international.

Similar Threads

  1. Efke PL25 M 5x7 / 4x5 in Straight XTOL or XTOL 1:1, Dev Times?
    By dachyagel in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 13-Oct-2011, 06:06
  2. Mixing D-23
    By mbdiesel in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 20-Aug-2011, 21:20
  3. Divided A, B Development with A:Xtol B:Dilute Xtol?
    By l2oBiN in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2-Dec-2010, 19:20

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •