Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: XTOL not mixing well and not working any more!

Re: XTOL not mixing well and not working any more!

Quote Originally Posted by rstobbe View Post
    Well, impossible might not be the right word. I get sodium metaborate from Fototechnik Suvatlar in Germany. You can see a list of products from them on Wolfgang Moerschs site https://www.moersch-photochemie.de/content/rohchemie

Afaik they do not have an online shop, but a phone call or an email will do. They are pretty responsive and willing to help. I do not know if they ship raw chemicals international.
    thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by rstobbe View Post
    Well, impossible might not be the right word. I get sodium metaborate from Fototechnik Suvatlar in Germany. You can see a list of products from them on Wolfgang Moerschs site https://www.moersch-photochemie.de/content/rohchemie

Afaik they do not have an online shop, but a phone call or an email will do. They are pretty responsive and willing to help. I do not know if they ship raw chemicals international.
    is their email on site, i will contact them
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by almostpilot View Post
    is their email on site, i will contact them
    thanks
    Yes: fotosuvatlar@live.de

I bought 4 bags of Xtol from 2 different sources. ALL of them were bad. It was only after destroying 6 sheets of 4x5 film that I started researching the “Trade concern”
    I then bought a bag of D76 from a 3rd supplier. It too was bad. It looked like maple syrup as I was mixing it. It’s pretty sad that a once great company named Kodak is now just an empty brand name that can’t even competently produce reliable chemistry. After 50 years of using
    strictly Kodak b/w chemistry, I’m done. The 4x5 b/w film still seems ok for now. Sad, but not surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by urnem57 View Post
    I bought 4 bags of Xtol from 2 different sources. ALL of them were bad. It was only after destroying 6 sheets of 4x5 film that I started researching the “Trade concern”
    I then bought a bag of D76 from a 3rd supplier. It too was bad. It looked like maple syrup as I was mixing it. It’s pretty sad that a once great company named Kodak is now just an empty brand name that can’t even competently produce reliable chemistry. After 50 years of using
    strictly Kodak b/w chemistry, I’m done. The 4x5 b/w film still seems ok for now. Sad, but not surprising.
    Pretty amazing. All I've ever used for film has been Kodak chemistry, since I was a kid, my Dad and I developing Instamatic Verichrome in Microdol-X. I've never been hurt by Kodak's chemistry, but it's a miracle. When Tetenal got into financial trouble, before Kodak Alaris could bring their magnificent management skills to the game. I bought 15 or more 5L packages of XTOL and at least a dozen Kodak Rapid fixer packages w hardener.
    Alaris sold the business to the China Sino Promise Group which has been making Kodak Alaris color chemistry for some time.
    I'm like you there's Ilford whose paper and paper developer I've used for years. And plenty others. I can't imagine not using Kodak color negative film or abandoning TMY in rolls. I've grown very fond of Ilford's products and they are very well owned for lack of a better term.

Oh, yeah the original bad XTOL which the bag I got worked. I got a replacement, now the replacement is on the troubles list, so I'm supposed to be getting that replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    Given that most of the "noise" made here has been highly insulting, or suggesting any route other than Kodak Alaris, I doubt they care about squeaky wheels in this particular corner of the internet.

It's a lost cause from their point of view.
    they don't seem to be listening and have failed to say anything - on any of the film forums,

sadly they might get concerned when they see the sales fall, when it's too late.

Simple answer to these problems - Don't be a martyr- change chemistry. There are too many good ones available to waste time, money and film on questionable ones.

I've been reading this thread with interest as I just wasted (2) 8x10 sheets and a days drive on two carefully metered scenes. My batches expiry is 04/21.

They were underdeveloped. I mix with a drill and paint mixer. Their was residue left in the bottom which had crystalized during the dissolving of part A. I broke it up and kept at it till clear and the same thing happened with part B. I eventually got it all clear and didn't think much more of it. Then developing these first negs I was deeply disappointed to see negs exactly as described by the OP.

My bad for not doing development tests before hand but I hadn't come across this before. Will have to start doing that now. I primarily use Xtol for environmental reasons, however I invest too much into this hobby to not walk away with results. I'll be switching to a different developer.

Same here. Xtol used to be my standard developer for years. I used the "new bags" for the first time. Date of manufacture: 2020/02/25. I couldn't get the 'A' powder to completely dissolve. After 24 hours I filtered and used the developer. Negs came out underdeveloped. Mixed the next bags. Same problem.
    I am done with Xtol.
    “When we have no thought of achievement, no thought of self, we are true beginners... This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.”
    - Shunryu Suzuki -