Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: XTOL not mixing well and not working any more!

Re: XTOL not mixing well and not working any more!

I contacted Kodak Alaris regarding my bag of brown D76 two weeks ago via email. I had a response within an hour, requesting more information. Two days ago, I received a tracking number for my replacement chemicals.

That's a far cry from the worst customer service I've encountered this year.

The more noise we make here, the better some behave

Squeaky wheel
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    The more noise we make here, the better some behave

Squeaky wheel
    Given that most of the "noise" made here has been highly insulting, or suggesting any route other than Kodak Alaris, I doubt they care about squeaky wheels in this particular corner of the internet.

It's a lost cause from their point of view.

Not really, many here including me buy KODAK film even into ULF sizes

I have bit of all their offerings

But I don't use their chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    Given that most of the "noise" made here has been highly insulting, or suggesting any route other than Kodak Alaris, I doubt they care about squeaky wheels in this particular corner of the internet.

It's a lost cause from their point of view.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    ...I somehow ended up with about 50 (fifty!) packages of X-TOL; a friend and former colleague 'pressured' me into buying it from him because he was moving and needed the money. Now, I am glad that I have it but he question is: how long will it last? (The packages are sealed in thick zipped-locked bags)...
    Way back when Kodak was on the brink of bankruptcy I stockpiled what for me was a lifetime supply of XTOL. Granted, at the time, it was U.S-made and packaged in laminated polyester-aluminum envelopes. Nonetheless, I added extra oxygen protection by placing the factory items inside laminated anti-static envelopes for a secondary barrier. Eight plus years later, it mixes and functions identically to the day I bought it.

See the last part of this post for what led me to think it might work:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Consider home brewed "Mytol" as a replacement. I have used it for 15 years and my testing showed it to be indistinguishable from 2005 Xtol.
    How do you make Mytol without Sodium Metaborate (Kodalk)? I cannot find it anywhere (in europe)

That sounds really interesting... when you did your tests, were results very different? D23 i thought was a low contrast developer

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    I absolutely get what you're saying. Their customer service (caring) has gone by the wayside for a long time now. I hope they will keep making Tri-X and T-Max with the same quality control to date.

If and when the time comes that I have to switch to another developer, it will be D-23. When I did my Zone tests for
    X-TOL, I also did them for D-23. One of the appealing things about this developer is that has just two ingredients.
    sorry here is the quote I was replying to...
    So again, is D23 comparable to Xtol ? I think of it as low contrast developer

With XTOL I got a little over box speed and a little under with D-23. My tests were confirmed by Richard Ritter (I was new to using a densitometer and didn't trust my results). The film is Tri-X 320

D-23 is very similar to D-76; Divided D-23 is used to handle high contrast scenes.

The idea for using D-23 came from here:

http://www.kennethleegallery.com/html/tech/D-23.php

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Way back when Kodak was on the brink of bankruptcy I stockpiled what for me was a lifetime supply of XTOL. Granted, at the time, it was U.S-made and packaged in laminated polyester-aluminum envelopes. Nonetheless, I added extra oxygen protection by placing the factory items inside laminated anti-static envelopes for a secondary barrier. Eight plus years later, it mixes and functions identically to the day I bought it.

See the last part of this post for what led me to think it might work:

Thanks for the tip; it so happens that I have the bags you're talking about.