Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going Wide on 5x7

Small town, South Carolina, US

Re: Going Wide on 5x7

Nikon 90/8 also covers with no problems other then the normal light fall off.

1. 150 g Claron is a great lens for 5X7 and it covers with room for significant movement. People say it doesn't, but it does.

2. 120mmm Super Angulon. These are surprisingly affordable but big.

3. 90mm f:8 Nikkor.

My standard wide lens on 5x7 has been the Dagor 4 3/8"......tiny lens and a fine performer...& like Kevin said the also tiny & inexpensive 150 G Claron.

digging for fire

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    I use an f90mm Super Angulon with a center filter for 5 x 7. Works fine.
    +1

Eric Woodbury

The El Nikkor 90mm f/8 is a comfortable lens on 5x7. Prices were very low on this lens a while back, but not sure now. 72mm SA XL is a fun lens for 5x7, but not sure about portraits unless they are environmental style. A good lens for middle-wide range is the 110mm/5.6 Super Symmar XL. Lots of coverage.

Nearly Restored 5x7 Sinar Norma by Nokton48, on Flickr

Since we are all locked down I have been working on restoring my old Normas, as they are more than sixty years old, they need some attention. This is my 5x7, I have put in some new light sealing foam in the front and rear standards, and also new foam in this new to me Sinar Norma Shutter. I sent the shutter out for cleaning (it was sticky inside) and replaced the sync cord, although for whatever reason, it is still not firing with strobes. I will get it sorted eventually, for now I will use my other Norma Shutter with my strobes in the studio, it fires 100%. The lens is a Sinar Norma 121mm F8 Super Angulon, forward mounted with copal shutter built-in, and full Norma Auto Aperture automation. This is the most deluxe way you could get this lens from Sinar at the time. Looking forward to shooting more HR-U XRay film with this new to me camera. Should make fantastic split-grade VC RC prints.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

For years a 120 Angulon (NOT SUPER ANGULON) has been my go to WA for 5x7 in the field. Small, lightweight and adequate coverage.

I'm using a Fujinon NSW 105mm f/8 lens discussed here https://www.largeformatphotography.i...Fuji-SW-105-F8, which does seem to have excellent coverage on 5x7. I've only used it with b&w so far, so I don't know how good the colour rendition is. I'd be surprised if it wasn't good, however.

I also have a Fujinon W 150mm f/5.6 (currently away for repairs) that offers ok coverage on 5x7 — but not the newer Fujinon NW 150mm f/5.6, which doesn't offer adaquate coverage for 5x7.... The difference is that the new lenses have the writing on the outside of the barrel, while the older lenses have the writing on the front of the lens. The older lenses aren't multicoated, which may be a problem when using colour film.

This is a valuable resource too: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...s/LF5x7in.html

While my 90mm f/6.8 Grandagon does cover this format, and my 150mm G-Claron is, indeed, a great little lens...it is the 120mm Super Angulon which has long provided me with a good "sweet spot" for wide angle use on 5x7. Yup...a big lens - but very versatile in that its great coverage equates to lots of movement potential...plus what might otherwise be a distracting amount of light fall-off.

For something even wider...I do believe that the 72mm XL covers 5x7, although I, for one, would often find this to be simply too wide for my typical uses.