Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any telephoto (360mm or above) recommendations for a 4x5 (TK45S)?

Re: Any telephoto (360mm or above) recommendations for a 4x5 (TK45S)?

Doesn't the camera use Technika boards? I had a factory Linhof 360 Tele Xenar on a Technika board. The rear element was the same size as that of my 250mm Imagon.

I just checked the Linhof webpage. It shows that the recessed Technika board will mount. Certainly the rear element of the 360mm Tele Xenar will fit easily.

Any telephoto (360mm or above) recommendations for a 4x5 (TK45S)?

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    I'm actually very curious about the Nikon 360/500/720mm Nikkor-T* ED set, but I worry that the convertible design may mean less sharpness than, say, the 450mm Fujinon C.

So far I'm thinking either the 450mm Fujinon C or the 360/500/720mm Nikkor-T* ED set.

Has anyone had any luck with the Yamasaki Tele-Congo 500mm?
    We’re not really comparing apples to apples here. The Fuji C is not a tele and will require that much in bellow extension. The Nikkor at 500 will require about 350mm bellow extension for infinity focus since it’s a tele design. Even if your camera supports 450mm in bellows keep in mind it’s more susceptible to wind and at these focal lengths stability is key (could be far more limiting than lens sharpness!).

The Nikkor are quite sharp, but they’re quite big and heavy, if that matters. They provide large coverage with ample movements for 4x5.

The Fuji C is very light and sharp but really it’s more coveted for 8x10 because of its light weight and coverage. Kind of overkill for 4x5 unless you also have an 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    Doesn't the camera use Technika boards? I had a factory Linhof 360 Tele Xenar on a Technika board. The rear element was the same size as that of my 250mm Imagon.

I just checked the Linhof webpage. It shows that the recessed Technika board will mount. Certainly the rear element of the 360mm Tele Xenar will fit easily.
    Sironar, Symmars and similar have too large a rear element to fit.

Drew Wiley

The Fuji 450 is a very high quality lightweight lens in a little no. 1 shutter with very little kick or vibration to it. But due to its huge image circle, it should be well shaded with a compendium. The Nikkor teles are going to be heavier and bulkier; but a 360 tele will need less bellows extension. The Congo is probably not going to be up to the same level of optical quality. The Technikardan is a variation of the monorail theme and seems designed for relatively long extensions. But you don't want a excess weight out on the end in order to minimize leverage or vibration. A very sold tripod mount will also be essential. My favorite long lenses for 4x5 monorail use are the 360/10 Fuji A (light no.1 shutter, but now rare and expensive) and the Fuji 450C, which is still fairly common. Ideally, you want to avoid anything in a big heavy no. 3 shutter.

Arca-Swiss

The 360/500mm/720mm Nikon T is very sharp T DISTance though not at still life closeup distances, This is true of most telephoto designs though. Also the contrast is quite high, as well. and as an added bonus I have tested these under extreme flare threats. No flares even with bright, specular light sources in the images. The 720mm is good, but the focal length is such that you need to really stop down and or use tilting extremes, or shoot from an elevated position, in which case tilt is contra-indicated, to achieve extreme sharpness. But the 720mm only needs 469.2mm of extension for infinity. The 360mm and 500mm are really useful lenses, the 720mm for the reasons mentioned, less so.

In my opinion the 360mm/500mm are equal in sharpness and show better contrast than the 450mm Fuji. The Fuji 450mm does have a larger image than the Telephoto designs. The 450mm Nikon M, in my opinion shows better contrast than the Fuji,and a larger image circle, while being equally sharp with the Fuji 450mm. The Nikon 450 is larger, but not crazily so. The Fuji Telephotos also in my testing, are no where near the Nikon Telephotos for image quality.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Have and use the following (all on Technika boards)
    300mm f/6.3 Komura
    400mm f/8 FUJINON-T
    500mm f/7 KOMURA
    600mm f/12 Fujinon T
    For B&W photography and printing 11x14's, all work out just fine.

Drew Wiley

That miniscule amount of enlargement doesn't tell anyone much, Greg.

Drew Wiley

A tele has a very narrow field of view, so yes, less risk of flare. But I've had circumstances where I had to apply a contrast-reduction mask to 4x5 color negs from 450C shots for sake of printing, so all of this flare talk is relative and generally nullified by a decent compendium shade anyway. Nikkor M lenses are wonderful, but in the case of the 450, it's in a no.3 shutter (vs no.1 of a 450C), so it's not just a wt difference involved, but potential vibration amplification way out at the end of the bellows extension. What might work superbly on a more solid 8x10 camera might give you hell on a lightwt 4x5 field setup.

I have the Nikon 360/500/720 set and I'm completely satisfied with the sharpness. My only complaint is that focusing an f/16 lens (the 720) is a bit hard on my 80 year old eyes. I use the 360 and 500 on my Technika and the 720 on my 5 x 7's

Some older teles I have used can have flare issues, esp at night... Types with a flat element behind front element can set up reflections even with a good shade as bright lights (like streetlights) can start bouncing around in lens leaving a flare blob somewhere in frame in night shots... (Even lights in frame...)

Modern multicoating should take care of most of the issues, but the "acid" test is doing some night photography with it, and shoot some really bright light stuff with darkness surrounding it and see if there's any bright ghosting in the frame...

While camera is on tripod in above set-up, watch GG as you slightly rotate camera side to side to see if the highlight glow "smears" or move around...

Daylight is not as critical, but can cause slight exposure unevenness...

Test before you keep...

Steve K