Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any telephoto (360mm or above) recommendations for a 4x5 (TK45S)?

Re: Any telephoto (360mm or above) recommendations for a 4x5 (TK45S)?

I've used 360 tele xenar, 360 tele arton and 380 15" tele raptar (optar). All 3 provide very good coverage, good contrast and sharpness for my tastes. The 15" tele raptar is my favorite, though.

Drew Wiley

Not all those older teles are appropriate for color photography, if that is going to be in mind, and not just black and white work.

Since I already have the Nikon 300mm M f/9, which higher focal length would best round out my 65mm to 300mm set?

Here are the lenses I have already. (It took me a long while to get these):
    -65mm Nikon Nikkor-SW f/4
    -75mm Nikon Nikkor-SW f/4.5
    -90mm Sinar (Rodenstock) Sinaron W f/6.8 (Multicoated)
    -120mm Nikon Nikkor-SW f/8
    -150mm Schneider Symmar-S f/5.6 (Multicoated)
    -210mm Schneider Symmar-S f/5.6 (Multicoated)
    -300mm Nikon Nikkor-M f/9

I’m thinking either the 360mm or the 500mm Nikon Nikkor-T* ED. Ideally I’d get both rear convertibles, but I can really only afford one.

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    Since I already have the Nikon 300mm M f/9, which higher focal length would best round out my 65mm to 300mm set?

Here are the lenses I have already. (It took me a long while to get these):
    -65mm Nikon Nikkor-SW f/4
    -75mm Nikon Nikkor-SW f/4.5
    -90mm Sinar (Rodenstock) Sinaron W f/6.8 (Multicoated)
    -120mm Nikon Nikkor-SW f/8
    -150mm Schneider Symmar-S f/5.6 (Multicoated)
    -210mm Schneider Symmar-S f/5.6 (Multicoated)
    -300mm Nikon Nikkor-M f/9

I’m thinking either the 360mm or the 500mm Nikon Nikkor-T* ED. Ideally I’d get both rear convertibles, but I can really only afford one.
    I think the natural step would be to go to at least 400 or 450mm. I see no point in 360mm if you already have 300mm.

The Fuji T 400mm (relative cheap, not too heavy) or the Nikkor M 450mm (more expensive) would be two good options. You don’t specify constraints (is weight important? Can the bellows support 450mm and is the camera rigid enough in your application? Are you just trying to minimize cost?)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    I think the natural step would be to go to at least 400 or 450mm. I see no point in 360mm if you already have 300mm.

The Fuji T 400mm (relative cheap, not too heavy) or the Nikkor M 450mm (more expensive) would be two good options. You don’t specify constraints (is weight important? Can the bellows support 450mm and is the camera rigid enough in your application? Are you just trying to minimize cost?)
    Many thanks! I have a Linhof Technikardan 45S. According to the Linhof website, the Technikardan 45’s maximum camera extension (lens to film plane) is 485 mm.

Weight is somewhat important, but image quality (sharpness, contrast) is most important. Of course, I also like to keep cost to a minimum as I’m just a student. I suppose the pecking order for me would be: image quality, cost, followed by weight. I shoot color negative and color transparency almost exclusively for landscapes and architecture, if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    Many thanks! I have a Linhof Technikardan 45S. According to the Linhof website, the Technikardan 45’s maximum camera extension (lens to film plane) is 485 mm.

Weight is somewhat important, but image quality (sharpness, contrast) is most important. Of course, I also like to keep cost to a minimum as I’m just a student. I suppose the pecking order for me would be: image quality, cost, followed by weight. I shoot color negative and color transparency almost exclusively for landscapes and architecture, if that helps.
    I find the Fuji 400mm a very good lens, and being a tele your below extension for infinity would be 10.4” which means a pretty stable configuration in the open. It’s also quite cheap relatively speaking. 220mm image circle so you have a decent range for movements.
    Unless you’re planning to magnify more than x10 I wouldn’t sweat it, it’ll give you more than good enough images. Lens sharpness is overrated, usually the least of your problems, particularly at long focal lengths.

Drew Wiley

The biggest problem with long distance shooting is actually atmospheric. Haze and heat waves are the "great equalizer" that limits the effective resolution at distance of all these lenses, rather than minor differences in optical performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The biggest problem with long distance shooting is actually atmospheric. Haze and heat waves are the "great equalizer" that limits the effective resolution at distance of all these lenses, rather than minor differences in optical performance.
    When those heat convection waves start, all ultra-tele bets are off... A 400mm on a 4X5 of closer subjects might miss a lot of disturbances...

Very long optics will pick up some strange stuff, like my telescope on the moon that caused it to look like massive " "moonquakes" and liquidification that looked like the invasion was beginning... Or on Sandy Hook NJ looking at lower Manhattan in the 25mi distance through med power binoculars where the skyline was inverting upside-down, then rapidly reversing... Strange...

Don't forget about that "idiot wind" and contrast loss...

Steve K

Do or do not. There is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Any experience with the tele Congo’s? There’s 300, 400, and 500mm that are usually quite economical. I wonder how they’d compare to a tele Arton or a Fuji 400mm T in optical quality?
    I have a 400mm f/8 Osaka (same as Congo, just a store brand for Bromwell Camera). Optically it is slightly worse than a 400mm Fujinon-T when viewing 11x14 enlargements with a loupe, but it's also 6oz lighter than the Fujinon and my back appreciates that. The Congo won't cover 5x7, the Fujinon will, although just barely.

The 500mm f/9.5 Congo has a 160mm image circle so is just enough for 4x5.

FWIW - I have a Fujinon 400T in Copal shutter. It's big, sort of awkward, but fits smaller cameras that use Technika boards. I had low expectations but it's definitely sharper than I expected, sharp enough to be usable without worry. It does cover 5x7 well, but without movements. Using camera movements is unlikely in any event with a telephoto lens.

The 400T Fujinon usually sits in a drawer but it's good enough optically for what it is and I don't anticipate getting rid of it. I've used it primarily with a Rittreck metal field camera, so camera rigidity was not a major concern. Given the amount of weight so far forward of the front standard, I would be concerned about using it on a wooden field camera.