Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking out loud, why doesn't someone just 3d print a triple LF box?

Thinking out loud, why doesn't someone just 3d print a triple LF box?

With all this technology we have, I have been saving triple boxes since the 80's. Granted, I've lost a lot of them. And over the years the corners break.

I've seen elaborate 3d printed stuff. 3d printed building homes and houses!

Why can't someone just 3D print a triple box? It'll be so much stronger than a cardboard box.
    --

Thinking out loud, why doesn't someone just 3d print a triple LF box?

Personally I’m not sure it’d be better than cardboard. It can be brittle and if it cracks everything inside is ruined. Cardboard can actually take a lot of abuse.
    3D printed can also be sometimes not too smooth and could cause micro scratches on the film just by moving around in the box.
    Sometimes old technology is just easier!

Re: Thinking out loud, why doesn't someone just 3d print a triple LF box?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Personally I’m not sure it’d be better than cardboard. It can be brittle and if it cracks everything inside is ruined. Cardboard can actually take a lot of abuse.
    3D printed can also be sometimes not too smooth and could cause micro scratches on the film just by moving around in the box.
    Sometimes old technology is just easier!
    Excellent points!!!

That's why I think out loud. I noticed that last time I bought Bergger film, it was only a double box.
    --

consider outgassing problems

Gaff tape can fix any box, or cheaper, box sealing tape, both carefully applied

I just used 3M furnace tape, what a stinker, I have to store the roll in a good ziplock...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    consider outgassing problems

Gaff tape can fix any box, or cheaper, box sealing tape, both carefully applied

I just used 3M furnace tape, what a stinker, I have to store the roll in a good ziplock...

When I worked in the photo/film biz in NYC when I was younger, I used gaffer tape like there was no tomorrow. Of course, I never purchased it, just used it daily at the studios. I didn't know Bogen invented it. He passed away like 10 years ago I think.

When I think about buying some, I'm shocked at the costs. It does work great though.

I'm all about DIY! Maybe next year I'll buy a roll of gaffer tape, but for now, painters tape is economical for my needs

--

I thought it was Ross Lowell, who died last Jan., the creator/founder of Lowel-Light, who invented gaffer tape.

I once called the NJ HQ of Bogen on a Saturday and somehow knew, maybe from an impression from his picture in his ads pf the time, that it was Lester Bogen who answered. He confirmed this: "Yes, it is. Who else would be here on a Saturday?"
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    I thought it was Ross Lowell, who died last Jan., the creator/founder of Lowel-Light, who invented gaffer tape.

I once called the NJ HQ of Bogen on a Saturday and somehow knew, maybe from an impression from his picture in his ads pf the time, that it was Lester Bogen who answered. He confirmed this: "Yes, it is. Who else would be here on a Saturday?"
    YES!!! Lowell. I got confused there for a bit.
    --

(Shrek)

3D-printed objects are never printed with 100% fill, because of thermal expansion issues. Well retraction I guess, but it happens during printing, which makes it very difficult to print a solid object with precision or strength. If you hold a printed object up to light, you can usually see through them, which might not be ideal for boxes to hold film.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    3D-printed objects are never printed with 100% fill, because of thermal expansion issues. Well retraction I guess, but it happens during printing, which makes it very difficult to print a solid object with precision or strength. If you hold a printed object up to light, you can usually see through them, which might not be ideal for boxes to hold film.
    I did not know this thank you!
    --

Sounds like a job best approached with thick matboard, or perhaps 3mm black foamboard?