Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do the wide gamut profiles in DPL mean

Re: What do the wide gamut profiles in DPL mean

Quote Originally Posted by Chester McCheeserton View Post
    Don't use curves - just levels. use Ap 16 or 19 for color neg. use Ap 10 for Chromes and 8 or 10 for black and white negs. Only use a sharper Ap then 8 for something crazy like techpan
    In my ignorance and for my education what is Ap?

You refer to curves and levels - is this something in ps???

regards
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Chester McCheeserton View Post
    did you ever do analog color printing? that really helps if you have that knowledge....what's blue vs what's cyan etc...

the people on this forum who harp on and on about not letting the scanner convert the file are not that experienced scanning color negatives in my opinion...I think you can begin to see that using that expensive software to scan a negative as a transparency and then converting is not only not the best method, it just plain doesn't make sense....
    I'd suggest it's the other way round - DPL/ Aztek's software may be the exception that is pretty capable with colour negs, but a lot of (generally older & more geared to transparency) European scanners' software seem to have issues with understanding the relatively simple mask colour correction and gamma correction necessary to make good neg scans in a painless manner that make it easier to match a colour darkroom print's tonality. What makes it more annoying is that colour neg effectively complies to a fairly fixed set of standards for curve gamma/ colour correction & that appears to have been enacted fairly poorly in a lot of software. I feel can say that on the basis of having made & dealt with thousands of scans from different machines & having had to colour match to objects/ pigments & top quality custom darkroom prints - and having made colour darkroom prints myself.

As it is, whatever works for you, works - and if it lets you get a good colour match (within the limitations of the dye couplers etc, etc), that's all that matters.

I've found EpsonScan also very capable with color negatives using a flatbed. I think a lot of people on this site dismiss it, since it's free, and think silverfast or vuescan must be better because they are more complicated. But Yes producing a good scan from a color neg requires a lot more knowledge and experience then B&W.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    In my ignorance and for my education what is Ap?

You refer to curves and levels - is this something in ps???

regards
    Tony
    Ap = aperture

I was referring to levels (or histogram) and curves in the Digital Photo Lab scanning software sold by Aztek. But yes those same features are also in photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Lenny Eiger is another good source for info on that scanner.
    Thanks!