Thread: Gregory Crewdson's 'An Eclipse of Moths'

Gregory Crewdson's 'An Eclipse of Moths'

Tin Can

Re: Gregory Crewdson's 'An Eclipse of Moths'

What does he do with his work?

Tin Can

'Melancholy' describes the work very well.

Some bad HDR in those new pieces. Personally I think he should have stuck with large format.

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    Some bad HDR in those new pieces. Personally I think he should have stuck with large format.
    I can find no information that suggests he has transitioned from film to digital. Where have you seen reference to his current tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    As far as I’m aware he still uses 8x10 chromes from a Sinar F 8x10 camera.
    From the Gargosian Shop link offered by Tin Can it seems that Gregory Crewdson sells pictures described as "Digital Pigment Print"; essentially pixel dust sprinkled on paper. But yes, it is possible that photographic materials, maybe even 8x10 chromes, are consumed and discarded on the way to the final product.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

I saw a BTS shot from one of the images. They were doing tethered capture. I think they were using a tech camera of some kind. One of the prints was made by Acorn Editions and a guy who runs an instagram account associated with them confirmed he shoots digital now.

GC probably could care less what capture tech he uses I'm sure. He makes money on books and large prints sold to well heeled collectors. I don't think any of these post modern guys and gals care about craft. Plus if he does any ad work I'm sure digital is par for the course.

But, from my perspective, analog is just more beautiful. It has a real 'original' negative/positive. 8x10 has cachet. Plus, with his ginormous prints there is no way the 80-150mp backs look as good as a sheet of Provia scanned on a Tango.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    GC probably could care less what capture tech he uses I'm sure. He makes money on books and large prints sold to well heeled collectors. I don't think any of these post modern guys and gals care about craft.
    From the Gagosian site:

Crewdson is a graduate of SUNY Purchase and the Yale University School of Art, where he is now director of graduate studies in photography.
    I certainly hope he still cares about the craft of photography.

I guess that most of you who are familiar with Crewdson's work know that it's highly staged and lit. The behind the scenes photos at the first link Randy posted show a few examples, such as (if this direct link works) image #3, https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gr...n=true#image=3

I think the lighting of the foreground produces an image with some similarities to recent HDR trends, but his work has always had elements of this, even before HDR was a fad. He might be doing both digital capture and shooting 8x10s - by the time you're using two lifts and spraying down the entire parking lot, what's adding a second camera?