Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tripod arm to support camera bed

Re: Tripod arm to support camera bed

I've always used a light stand under the front bed. With so many strobists around, light stands are cheap and good enough to support the front extended bed.

Or find a used car undercarriage jack, the one that screws.

When I worked in the studios, they used 2 cement cans and a stick on the sides of the front standard, and a 1x2 longway and come A clamps. This was the days of shooting LF for magazines and print.
    --

Would not an adjustable monopod or hiking pole support the weight? It likely doesn't have to connect to the tripod.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Small town, South Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Would not an adjustable monopod or hiking pole support the weight? It likely doesn't have to connect to the tripod.
    I feel like it will. At least that is what I have used and does the job.

Drew Wiley

There are adjustable lightweight fiberglass spanning poles both from studio lighting suppliers and in relation to temporary door and window enclosures, available from paint stores and contractor supply outlets. Hiking poles are generally too flexible for this kind of use. Many years ago I had an ice axe adapter; but that meant working uncomfortably low to the ground.
    But I've taken a different approach for heavy-front-end loads ever after. I use a unifying bar of hardwood which gets bolted directly atop the platform of the tripod, but which has two adjustable collar point along the length of the bar. This works especially well for monorail cameras. Sinar and probably Linhof too offer ready-made metal versions of these; but I prefer to make my own. For the last one I made a maple and phenolic laminate version and sealed it with marine epoxy stained with real rust powder to match the weatherbeaten look of my Ries maple tripods - totally dimensionally stable yet rustic-looking too. I can apply only the latter half of that description to myself.