Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Still Smokey

Drew Wiley

Re: Still Smokey

Except for a 60 acre grass fire 15 mi away, we've had blue sky for the past 4 days. But I can't even walk up the street to the open space till the weekend due to red flag dry wind alerts. They've done a really good job clearing away all the grass and downfall in the eucalyptus groves near town, have re-graded the fire roads, and even train fire crews there. Plus there's an 8-lane freeway between the park and my place, which means our own neighborhood is exempt from deliberate power shutdowns during anticipated red flag conditions. Surviving being eaten by the three little wannabee mountain lions lounging in the back lawn right now is a different topic. But so far, they've been more interested in catching butterflies.

In Fresno it all depends on which way the wind is blowing.
    An owl rode shotgun in a chopper dropping water on the Creek fire
    https://www.yourcentralvalley.com/ne...ek-fire-below/
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Midwest got light rain today, it has been very dry and brush fires were happening near me

Tonight first frost
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Don't know why there were seemingly two different chopper pictures on that link, John. The small yellow one was obviously parked at the Mammoth airport on the backside of the range, which didn't look like a rig capable of heavy water-carrying. The owl appeared to be on a big khaki colored chopper instead.

As if helicopter flying owls aren't enough, Yosemite has a singing bear
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Three raccoons managed to break into a bank the other nite through the ducting. They look like bandits, so why not? The air has been so clear here due to the winds, no fog, and lack of road and air traffic, and reduced port shipping, that last night I could plainly see the sphere of Mars using just binoculars. That might be easy in the mountains or desert, but it's darn rare here.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Three raccoons managed to break into a bank the other nite through the ducting. They look like bandits, so why not? The air has been so clear here due to the winds, no fog, and lack of road and air traffic, and reduced port shipping, that last night I could plainly see the sphere of Mars using just binoculars. That might be easy in the mountains or desert, but it's darn rare here.
    Were you able to watch any of the meteor shower?

Drew Wiley

No, John. The fog did move back in.

We went to Mariposa on HWY 49 yesterday.
    A low pressure area is coming in.
    The air was pretty nice and the sky blue-ish.
    It all depends on the wind direction.

Drew Wiley

I just can't win. Had another nice blue day when I got up yesterday. I had already been over to Pt Reyes the day before for a walk, and red flag restrictions were beginning; so I went to the darkroom for a long session, and after awhile my lungs started getting irritated, and I couldn't figure out why. It was just ordinary black and white chemistry and the exhaust system was on. I didn't know till afterwards when I turned on the evening news that an oil tanker truck had flipped on the freeway nearby, completely burned, and shut the freeway down all day.