Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Different versions of Slide scanned on Howtek

Re: Different versions of Slide scanned on Howtek

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Here's how the bw negative was scanned for me.

The scan was done at 4000 ppi using the native aperture (6.35 microns) for that resolution. It’s 16 bit RGB directly into Gamma 2.2 Adobe RGB color space. Note the adjusted version was changed only to set the clipping points using Trident. I did not sharpen either of the Howtek furnished files.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...atbed-scanners
    Nice comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    No. DPL
    What's DPL? Is it Howtek's software?

Yes it is Aztek's software they use for their scanner and the Hiwtek's. They bought out Howtek line many years ago. They offer training I may take them up on. They charge one price regardless of how many attend. Maybe we could get some people who own Howtek's and DPL to sign up and do online video training.

Here are 4 different versions. Main difference from previous ones is that this version was scanned using a custom CMS file. Tells the scanner how to scan the film vs software manipulation after scan. Lots of possibilities with this. First two are moodier while the second two are closer to the slide viewed on light table.

Not sharpened
    Sharpened
    Not Sharpened
    Sharpened
    The 3rd and 4th samples' lighting was more even while the first two were lighter in the center and darker as you go out to the borders. Is that because you didn't use a Center Filter? How did you correct that in post? Which lens were you using?

This one was scanned using the preset Fuji RDPIII CMS file. Only other difference was the above were scanned with Aperture 6, while the one below was scanned with Aperture 13.

Still a ways to go learning the scanner, but it is straight forward and holds some possibilities that the Epson does not. Working on my color interpretation (always the hardest) especially avoiding over doing it with Grand Canyon images.
    One nice feature about DPL 8 is the Aperture check feature. You select an area and will automatically scan it multiple times using different apertures. Makes it rather easy to figure out which one to use on each film type. On my HR8000 the default go to is 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 7 but you can do aperture checks by turning on optvu or doing a manual check which is a bit more subjective. 7 also can’t do control points . Will upgrade to 8 soon and Aztek’s scsi to usb setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    The 3rd and 4th samples' lighting was more even while the first two were lighter in the center and darker as you go out to the borders. Is that because you didn't use a Center Filter? How did you correct that in post? Which lens were you using?
    Correct. I really need to get one. I use the radial graduated filter in Photoshop to correct as best I can.

Same scene slightly different time. This was shot on Porta160. I used the Wide Gamut Uncorreted trany CMS file for prescan setting and Colorneg to convert. The scanned image does not play well for manual conversion. At least the way I learned. I really need to learn how to create a CMS file for scanning the negative as WYSIWIG so it plays well with however you chose to convert it. Seems to do okay with the scanner converting the file and you can still save it as a linear raw file. So that is a plus. Anyway, I make no claim to color "correctness", etc. I think it looks good, I am not happy with some of the red and can't figure out how to correct well. This is why I want to know how to create a CMS from complete scratch so I can get a good scanned negative to convert as I suspect the reds are due to the scanner settings from the canned CMS file.

All the above will be important for bw as well.

Getting better at mounting so that is not a challenge any more.

Ignore the crispy factor from whatever flicker does to the image when uploaded. I really hate that and they won't admit it.

Looks good the highlights just look a little hot. My suggestion would be to try using wide gamet negative uncorrected. and use the densitometer feature and make little detail prescans of those highlights and make sure to keep the numbers below 230.

Do you work in PS using Adobe 98? The people I learned from taught me to always start by assigning the file to srgb if working from a color negative to start. You can always punch it back up using hue/sat or even assign just parts of the file back to Adobe 98 if you really need to. Understanding the difference between assigning and converting a file to a colorspace is something not many people actually understand.

also you see that big mounting bubble at the bottom – right?

Yeah. Good thing it is in area I can crop out.

I typically work in Adobe rgb. If I am converting from scratch and do scan without profile assigned. Then convert adobergb. Sometimes srgb first then to Adobe. Understanding color is not easy.