Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Different versions of Slide scanned on Howtek

multiplex

Re: Different versions of Slide scanned on Howtek

Hello Stephen
    Are you planning on printing these images ( this image ) ? Will it be printed on paper, backlit on film? separation negatives made and a trichrome gum print? Gum over PT or silver?
    While I love the different interpretations of the original slide sometimes its best ( for me at least - no clue about you or anyone else ) to think about how something will be enjoyed, ... and if it is going to be enjoyed off as a tangible work not on a monitor enlist someone whose mastery of whatever medium it will live on to help you interpret the way you want.
    While the scan rabbit hole is deep, the print rabbit hole seems to be deeper, unless you are a wickedprinter.

Best of luck with your fun-stuff!
    John
    Last edited by jnantz; 6-Oct-2020 at 14:18.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    Try to get it right at the time of exposure...If light is not great or something else is "not quite" - better to pass on it - PS is not going to fix that (or I don't know how).
    Critically review the image on light table (almost does not apply to color neg , unfortunately)
    Scan if I like what I see. Either in scanner RAW or with just White Point set.
    Bring the scan into PS.
    Convert into working space if/as needed.
    Dust cleanup (right over the image , I do not need to keep the dust on a separate layer in my already large file)
    Edit to my liking using adjustment layers. If all falls into places during exposure then I can go with as few as 1 layer for either contrast or color balance or two for both. Other times it could be as many as 5-6 layers , mostly for making local tone adjustments to even out the luminosity across the image and make the relationship between tones look natural\pleasing (may not apply to B&W as there is nothing natural in B&W to begin with).
    Saving in PSD.
    Making a copy of the image. From this point all the work below is done on the copy.
    Flaten.
    Selective sharpening.
    Resizing to desired print size in max printer output resolution. For initial test prints it is usually 4x6 in. [Optional: If the final print is 16x20 or larger and I am happy with how the 4x6 turned out I would make another test print at 8x10 in to be certain everything is right before I waste any paper and ink on a large print.]
    Selective sharpening. The effect is best assessed at 50%, 25% or 12.5% magnification.
    Conversion from working space (Lab or RGB) into printer's RGB (Relative Colorimetric or Perceptual, whatever works best for particular image) . For B&W it is always Relative Colorimetric. AT this point the image should look almost as it would print... I may check the histogram to see if there is any clipping. Slight clipping in one or two channels is usually ok. If clipping is too severe I may go back one step and apply a curve or desaturate a bit and then convert into printers RGB again.
    Sending to printer with no color management (color management disabled) in both PS and printer driver.
    Assessing the test prints in good light (day light on a sunny day) as well as in other less optimal conditions (artificial light, gloomy day light, etc). Usually I am lucky to nail it on the first try. Sometimes it takes another round of tweaking the layers and printing. In rare cases when I am not certain what the image needs I just leave it and move on to another one, until the right time comes...
    Thanks. It seems very meticulous and involved.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    Hello Stephen
    Are you planning on printing these images ( this image ) ? Will it be printed on paper, backlit on film? separation negatives made and a trichrome gum print? Gum over PT or silver?
    While I love the different interpretations of the original slide sometimes its best ( for me at least - no clue about you or anyone else ) to think about how something will be enjoyed, ... and if it is going to be enjoyed off as a tangible work not on a monitor enlist someone whose mastery of whatever medium it will live on to help you interpret the way you want.
    While the scan rabbit hole is deep, the print rabbit hole seems to be deeper, unless you are a wickedprinter.

Best of luck with your fun-stuff!
    John
    Even ually I will print ising my Canon Prograf on Baryta type paper. The super heavy stuff. For black and white ai plan to migrate from digital prints to actual dark room printing

All this of course once we move into our home we are building. Unfortunately that is about a year from now before we can move in.

Thanks, I will.

One thing to remember about number of colors/shades, etc. 8s that the more you can actually represent the smoother the transition from one to the next will be.

As an example look at an image that is comprised of only 256 colors or shades of gray. The transitions can be harsh as you move from one shade to the next or color. Now if I have 65 million colors or shades of gray, I get smooth and subtle transitions. The more I can represent the closer I get to how we truly perceive the world which is in analog.

Anolog is a continuous function, not discritized. In the world of math, if I plot a step function which digital is, I get a curve that looks like a stair case. I'd I only have 256 steps the changes are obvious and abrupt. If I have 65 million steps the curve is practically smooth depending on the size of the curve ( space it resides in).

If I take the limit of the function as it goes to infinity, ie, the number of shades/colors steps becomes infinite and I now have a continuous function. Ie, the way we see the world