Thread: Adapter suggestions between Century Empire State + Century 8A

multiplex

Adapter suggestions between Century Empire State + Century 8A

I have had a century 8A for ages but never had more than a home made (foam core and foam core+waxed paper ) 11x14 back for it. It's worked great, but I figure I might try something new.
    A few years ago I picked up an Empire State hoping the backs could be used interchangeably with the 8A, you know, thinking the manufacturer would have thought " why make more than one back for the handful of 11x14 cameras we make", but I was wrong. I was thinking of making an adapter out of stiff, dense, corrugated cardboard from a UHaul wardrobe.
    I know I can have camera builders extraordinaires Mr Ritter in VT or StarCamera CO in NJ make me a top notch one, and who knows I may go that route eventually, but I'm a tinkerer and wanted to attempt to make one myself.
    Materials I can get ahold of would be corrugated cardboard ( as mentioned ) or maybe some basswood or hobby wood from one of the big box hardware stores or a local hobby shop. I have a Dremel ( with drill press stand (I think if I can find it ) and miter box from my architectural model building days. I don't have a jig (yet?) for making dovetail joints. I figure I need a major distraction these days and this might be it.
    Any suggestions on how to glue corrugated cardboard together or can I treat it like wood, or use pins? Will it not be stable enough fiddling around with a film holder? should I ditch the paper products and go right to the wood ? How would you suggest attaching the camera back to the adapter so it can be REMOVED and I can use it on both cameras ? Anyone have a Delorean DMC-12 so I can go back to 1903 and suggest to Century they should use the same back on both cameras ?

Thanks for your suggestions!
    John

Re: Adapter suggestions between Century Empire State + Century 8A

Hi John

You will find a way, but don't use cardboard, any Home Depot type store has plenty of wood almost cut to size. I just back from fighting the Plague in one of them to get a few oddities for my camper/camera/trailer getaway to nowhere machine...

Since you are a coffee developer fiend and drink it as I do, perhaps this snap from The Wormhole Coffee Shoppe, the real name of the very popular hangout

web Wormhole Coffee Shop by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Hey John!!!

Downside of paper materials is PVA (wood) glues contain water that can cause dimensional changes as when the goo is wet, then dries possibly changing size & shape... Plus humidity can cause changes... Also sanding to fit is mostly out...

I use basswood a lot for camera parts, as it can be cut with a razor knife, is strong/light, can hold screw holes, and properly treated can be dimensionally stable... And pretty cheap...

Down sides is it's stiff in one direction but not across it, but if you cross-grain layer it, now it's strong... Other minors include after cutting, it can slightly change dimensions, but a trick is to apply a thin layer of cheap superglue to cut edge before sanding... In fact, the superglue can harden holes where some strength is needed, and some wetting of material with it, then spread with a razor will seal it well enough to paint (or leave it nice light natural)...

I have also used layered thin hardwood plywood with success for larger pieces... Also cheap...

Suggest getting a piece of plate glass to use as a work surface, and a adjustable machinist's tri-square for cutting and checking angles/lengths etc...

Maybe adding some support ribs will make it "bulletproof"

Remember winter is coming, so keep the project sane, so family will see another spring with no regrets!!! ;-)

Keep 'em flying!!!

Steve K

Hi john, Steve has jogged my memory

I am not good at making squares, so I cheat

I made an 8X10 to 16X20 adapter from a very flat and rectangular Artist Board, sold by Dick Blick who sells them 4X4" to 48X72"!

I just bought the same one again for another adapter. Here

You do need to add extensive ribbing on the inside back, which is easy with wood glue and wood strips like these A sample

I also use a roll of felt tape for any gap if needed

Then flat black paint inside.
    Tin Can

multiplex

Randy and Steve
    Thanks for your suggestions ! When I find the time I will attempt to do this long awaited adapter. Just have to find the time...

Thanks again!
    John